Marathon Water Heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Birdieman

Reaction score
I read in another thread several members' recommendations regarding brands of water heaters. I saw no mention of Marathon heaters. My electric co-op and a local energy expert in this area highly recommend them. They have a lifetime warranty against leaks. Any thoughts?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
they are ok

It all depends on how much money you want to
shell out for one and how long you expect to
stay in that house.....

I expect they would cost about two to three times more than
a normal electric water heater...

havent put one in yet, but have watched the promo movie
on their web site......

T_Hartigan

Reaction score
Marathon heaters

Hello,

I bought a 75 gallon Marathon heater after much research and debate about a year ago. I plan on living in my current house for a lonnnnng time, and thought it made sense. My previous water heater (A.O. Smith 40 gallon) was 25 years old (not original owner), and still worked o.k., but could not get the anode rod out and the water heater was making my water smell bad. I live on a well.

The heater cost about $840 shipped to my door. I haven't had any problems with it (smell gone). I figured if it outlasts 2 water heaters it was worth it.

Construction seems nice. Just make sure to read the instructions.

Tim

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The elements are 1 7/8" so you need a special element wrench and the elements are almost $50.00 ea.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Marathon Heaters

$840 to your door??

that is not a bad price as long as you install it yourself

or get a decent price on having it installed...

in the fine print does it say anything about having to be installed
by a Lic Plumber to validate the warranty???

the only real downside I can see is if the unit leaks ......
and how long much trouble it is to get validation from Rheem

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
T Hartigan, I'm curious as to how many people there are in your home.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Heater

If they are the ones I am familiar with, I don't encounter them often enough, (only about once or twice), to remember the brand, they are a plastic heater that you can carry with one hand if you could get a grip on it. They are not guaranteed not to leak for a lifetime, they are guaranteed that you will get a new heater when it leaks. There is a difference. I had a customer who purchased a house partly because it had the Sears model of that heater. When it started leaking a few months later, he found out that the "lifetime" expired when the original owner sold the house. Unless they have changed their policy, you have to register the heater with the manufacturer to activate the warrany.

T_Hartigan

Reaction score
Cass,
There are only 2 people in my house currently, but I had 8 people living in my house last Christmas for 2 weeks. I was glad I went with the 75 gallon tank.

MPM,
The $840 was without installation. I installed the unit myself. The unit just has to be installed within applicable codes, and good trade practice.

hj,
The warranty is for a replacement tank, the warranty says they pay for shipping too. I don't think I could lift this tank even if it had a handle. I sent the warranty card in, no reason not too.

Tim

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
According to the web site

YOUR MARATHON TANK IS WARRANTED NOT TO LEAK FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWN YOUR HOME*…
Marathon offers this no-leak promise because of its superior, non-metallic PermaGuard tank construction - a seamless blow molded polybutylene tank with a filament wound fiberglass outer tank for maximum strength. Superior performance, high-efficiency, and low operating cost…for a lifetime*!

I'm Not sure if the Warranty is transferable.

T_Hartigan

Reaction score
The warranty is transferable, but then the warranty is only for 15 years. That's what the fine print that came with mine says.

Tim

Cass said:
According to the web site

YOUR MARATHON TANK IS WARRANTED NOT TO LEAK FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWN YOUR HOME*…
Marathon offers this no-leak promise because of its superior, non-metallic PermaGuard tank construction - a seamless blow molded polybutylene tank with a filament wound fiberglass outer tank for maximum strength. Superior performance, high-efficiency, and low operating cost…for a lifetime*!

I'm Not sure if the Warranty is transferable.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Only one of those I've seen had shot the element across the room from high water pressure. (no prv, no expansion tank, high temp setting)

No one was home, happened in the morning and workers down the street working on the main probably had something to do with the surge in pressure. Happened in Amelia Ohio.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks