Manufactured Home Water Heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

cotholt

Reaction score
I have decided to switch from an LP water heater to electric. I have already called an electrician to put the outlet in for me. My manufactured house is on a permanent foundation..the water heater is inside the home..(not accessed through the outside of the home) My question is this...what is the difference between a manufactured home water heater and a stick built home water heater other that price. I was going to attempt to put the electric one in on my own after I remove the LP water heater. What is your take on this...any experience or advice is welcome.l

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually the difference is a strap/bracket to secure the heater from moving, on the assumption that a "mobile home" could be mobilized and thus the heater could be jostled during the move.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sometimes, mh gas water heaters are direct vent. A gas OR electric model may have water connections on the side, for convenience due to where it is located. Other than that, you can use whatever you can fit into your space.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are also code listed for that use !
By the mfg. And code enforcement in your area you need to direct your questions to whatever agency in your area that handles mobile homes !
Do they work the same yes as noted above but if there is a house fire or other problem
it very well could impact your homeowners insurance and any
" DAMAGE" claims you
might have not to mention you need to pull a permit and have it inspected after it
is done ! Most especially for a fuel conversion such as you are planning on doing
this is not a DIY project if your family and home safety are important to you

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
HUD regulates new manufactured home regulations. As mentioned earlier bracketing is involved, with gas units they require fuel conversion capabilities since they don't know where their being delivered along with sealed combustion venting due to living space requirements.

As far as electrics go, that you wish to change to, the big manufacturing difference is side port taps.

If you read most plumbing codes once the home is delivered and becomes a permanent residence, the local codes and jurisdiction takes over, and in your case there is nothing special required with a electric tank install, beside permits, inspections........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have NOT seen a "full size" electric water heater with side taps for over 50 years. Some of the small "utility" heaters have them, but in some cases, even they have the connections on top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks