Manufactured Home Tub will mortar bed be too heavy?

Users who are viewing this thread

LionS

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1976 Mobile home and just ordered American Standard Evolution bath tub because it of the 17.5" tub depth.

I contacted the company and was told that it needs a 40 lb.mortar bed under the tub installation. I have some concerns that the 40 lbs will make the tub too heavy once filled with water. Is this something that I need to be concerned about?

Is there a particular brand & type of mortar that is lighter yet effective.

(Am Standard instructions say not to use sand nor foam)

thank you in advance for helping me with this question.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The mortar won't be an issue.
I don't use a entire bag, maybe half. I place a few piles under the tub and when it's dropped down, it spreads them out. You're adding some support, not a full support.

This bath must be supported along its entire bottom. Use mortar as bedding material (do not use sand or foam). Apply enough mortar to support the complete bottom of the bath. After the mortar has been poured, and before it sets, position whirlpool or bath within recess until the rim is leveled against the leveling stringers (see "Typical Recess Installation") shown below.

I don't think they've done this. It's impossible to lay out mortar perfectly under a tub. It would be an act of God. Placing a few piles that can squish down and away is what works.
They got the idea for the mortar from me anyway. It was originally my idea that I had posted on the forum. It's nice to see them catching up.

Last edited:

LionS

Reaction score
Hi Terry, thanks for getting back to me,

is there a particular brand that is best to use?

How many pounds would the 1/2 bag equal to?

Do you mean 20 Lb?

What consistency should it be? about how much water?

Or would you be able to suggest a article that answers all these questions?

I've tried to research this online and often there are conflicting opinions how to do it and what to use. I don't want to have this done wrong since it is expensive to get a tub installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks