Mansfield toilet handle stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

rhyudog

Reaction score
The handle on the mansfield toilet occasionally gets stuck when trying to flush the toilet. Does anyone know what this might be caused by? I tried taking a picture of the flush valve. Someone tole me that the red rubber needs to be replaced. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Attachments

• mansfield.JPG
    mansfield.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 8,344

Micp879

Reaction score
If you mean that the handle becomes very difficult to press, and you have to push down on it very hard to start the flush cycle, then yes it is very possible that you need to change the red flush valve seal at the base of the flush tower. This is a notorious problem for the mansfield flush towers. You should be able to find a replacement seal at any major hardware or home improvement store. You can also try flipping the seal over and reinstalling it, but you may very well have better luck just completely replacing it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Note on the picture there, when you change the flush valve seal it needs to get into the top groove.

mansfield-flush-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rhyudog

Reaction score
Thank you both so much. I will be installing the seal in about a week and see if that works. I really appreciate all your help!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the lever is binding against the flush tower it may be heated with a lighter and bent to provide a smooth action.

The seal needing replacement make it hard to initiate the flush and may cause the handle to break.

The handle binding will make the closing of the flush valve after the flush unreliable. This is on the models where the handle goes through the plastic loop on the flush tower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

If the handle is getting tight, it will not close the flush valve. If the tower is snug so it does not slide up and down, it will also not close. AND, if the handle is rubbing against the tower, that is a third possibility, so you have to decide which you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks