Mansfield, Leaking in tank - water will not shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy Griffith

Reaction score
Our old toilet will not shut off the water to the tank. I can't hear it but my wife can and I can see just a little bit of water running down the bowl and just a little disturbance in the water in the tank.

It seems to seal for just a bit right after a flush but then begins leaking again after a short bit. It doesn't seem to get worse than the very slight leak.

I've tried moving the float and that upper arm a bit but it doesn't seem to help.

I don't know if this has any bearing on your repair advice but thought I'd throw it out there. We will be moving in 12-15 months and this house will be torn down (development being built).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the water run periodically? If so, the flush valve is leaking, and the fill valve ran to make up for the lost water. If you turn off the supply water, the leaking will continue-- usually until the tank is empty. I am not familiar with that flush valve.

If, on the other hand, the water rises to the overflow, the problem would be the fill valve. Turning off the water will stop the flow, but the water level will stay high. From your photo, that seems to be the case. Replacing fill valves is one of the easier things to do yourself. Under $10 typically. However your landlord has probably done this fix many times, and he may be happy to do such a simple repair for you.

Andy Griffith

Reaction score
Does the water run periodically? If so, the flush valve is leaking, and the fill valve ran to make up for the lost water. If you turn off the supply water, the leaking will continue-- usually until the tank is empty. I am not familiar with that flush valve.

If, on the other hand, the water rises to the overflow, the problem would be the fill valve. Turning off the water will stop the flow, but the water level will stay high. From your photo, that seems to be the case. Replacing fill valves is one of the easier things to do yourself. Under $10 typically. However your landlord has probably done this fix many times, and he may be happy to do such a simple repair for you.
Thank you.

It seems to run continuously, though I haven't turned the water supply off for a period of time and checked for leak-down in the tank. When I turn the water supply off my wife can't hear it leaking any more and I don't see the dribble down the one part of bowl.

We own the house and I replaced that fill valve at some point over the last 30 years at least once before. I wish there was a way to get positive identification of the correct fill valve before I make the trek to the store without having to remove the old one and take it with me.

I'm also a little hesitant to tackle the job this time because I recently had spine fusion surgery and getting into the back/side of the toilet while on my knees might not work so well.

Reach4

Reaction score
See http://www.fluidmaster.com/toilet-fill-valve-runs-non-stop.html for instructions on cleaning the valve out in case the problem is debris in the valve seat.

It is also possible that you installed the top of the fill valve a little high. If that is only problem, holding the float up manually will stop the water flow. If that stops the water, we can try to find instructions for adjusting the height.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can't manually turn the water off by pulling up on the float, then the seal is bad...takes all of about a minute to replace it with no tools required. The instructions are on the package with the new seal which costs in the order of $3 at nearly any place that carries plumbing stuff.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a Mansfield tank and flush valve.
The water level looks to be adjusted too high. I would drop it to 1/2" below the overflow tube.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Everyone seems to have the same idea: your water level is too high so maybe you are getting some overflow and running because the float isn't pushed up enough to turn off the valve (so you need to turn the little screw there to push the float down further in the water), but since you mentioned that raising the float doesn't seem to help, then a new seal on the fill valve is probably in order. Let us know how that goes.

If you still get running after addressing those two issues, then it's time to check whether you have a leak in the flush valve (which is that white plastic tower). The way to do that is to shut off the water to the toilet, mark the water level with a pencil when you shut it off, and come back 4 hours or so later (or do it overnight). If the water level drops more than a smidge from your pencil mark, you have a leak in the flush valve. Most of the time, all you need to do is replace the rubber seal at the bottom of that Mansfield tower. Mansfield sells replacement seals, and you can find them online, but the easiest thing to do is probably to check which flush valve you have by looking right at the top of the white tower, just below where the trip lever attaches to the tower; it should say in small print: MODEL #____. If it's 210 or 211, which are the most common ones, Korky makes a nice flush valve seal for them, Part No. 427. http://www.korky.com/flappers/fits-mansfield-210-211-valve-seal. The instructions for how to replace it are at:
http://www.korky.com/sites/default/files/media/product/pdf/427BP_1.pdf The Korky seal can be had for less than $5.

Let us know how you are making out.

Andy Griffith

Reaction score
Well it turns out that the very threat of replacing that seal was enough to make it stop leaking. ;)

It hasn't leaked in the last couple of days. I'll put the seal up in the medicine cabinet and maybe that will hold it at bay for next 12 months or so. And if it starts leaking again I'll put the new seal in.

Btw, is there a way to contribute to this forum? This forum has been a big help over the last few years with several questions I've had.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks