Mansfield Alto vs. Gerber Maxwell

Users who are viewing this thread

Corey Pinkley

Reaction score
We have a construction job and the owner has spec Maxwell 21-402. He has use the Maxwell toilet in the past and likes the way it preforms for the cost. The contractor has submitted Mansfield 130-180 as and equal. Any pros or cons I should know about?
thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gerber 21-402, Discontinued -- Available while supplies last
From their web site.

The Mansfield is basicly the 130-160 Alto that we pull out.

You don't give us much to comment on. They are the basic "competitive" that keeps us in business selling replacements for them.

Somewhat kinky trapway, 2" flush valve, round bowl.
Yep, I haul plenty of them away. But I used to build new homes, and I get that you can't just hand people your bank account to be a nice guy. It gets people into the home, and if they want better, well...........They can do that later.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Let' put a finer point on it. It doesn't work very well, "for the cost" or otherwise.

Why not see if the owner wouldn't consider a Toto Entrada, which can be had at a professional price for less than $200.

In fact, although I would never recommend something like a Glacier Bay, the fact is that its most recent crappy foreign-made toilet has a 3" flush valve and actually flushes pretty well and doesn't look bad. (A friend's contractor put two in her bar, and after six months they haven't broken and don't clog often. Admittedly, my low expectations probably helped drive my surprise, but a "not terrible" rating by me is a step up with what you're going to find with that Alto or that Maxwell.)

Also, given that they are putting in antiquated round-bowl toilets (rather than elongated) to save money, the round Glacier Bay is right in the same ballpark, if not cheaper. But the Entrada would be absolutely stellar as compared to any of these.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks