Manabloc distribution line connection types

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by NickR, Aug 20, 2007.

1. NickR

NickR New Member

I've read most of the PEX/Manabloc posts on here but don't see any mention of the different distribution line connection types.
    (See: http://www.viega-na.com/downloads/pureflow-manablocSellSheet.pdf)

MANABLOCs are available with the original compression fittings on the distribution/supply lines, or now with bronze press, brass crimp, or polyalloy crimp fittings.

Anybody have pros/cons of the 4 fitting options now available?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Manablocks

I dont care for them at all...

if youilook at thoose shut of valves in the pictures
    they are cheap and crappy and might work great for the
    first 10 years os so .....but I would not even attempt to
    shut one off after 10 years...it will probably leak at the
    valve... (jsut my opinion)

as far as the type of fittings to use

go with the brass, they are certainly more durable
    and it might cost you twice as much,
    but someday long down the road
    you will probably be glad that you did

3. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

I generally like the Manabloc system, but there are a couple of things about the system that need improvement like:

1) The valves need to be replaceable units like on the zurn manifolds.
    2) The threaded connections are so easy to cross-thread since they are plastic; especially on the main supply connections (which renders the manifold useless if you do)...but those new connection options which no longer rely on a threaded connection fix this problem.
    3) The unit is plastic with only a few thin metal backing rods to give it strength, so if you aren't gentle with it, you can easily break it.
    4) The unit doesn't have enough mounting points to make it feel like it's mounted solid to me.

I installed one in my home and am pleased with it, but like Master Plumber Mark said, who knows what will happen in 10yrs...but then again...nothing is meant to last forever...and if the manifold does decide to die...as long as you leave enough slack in the lines, you can swap it out fairly easy.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

manabloc

I haven't used them but have worked on them. My one suggestion is to get one with additional valves, so when one goes bad you can transfer the line to a backup valve.
  5. NickR

NickR New Member

Thanks all for the input; bronze press connections look to be the most durable, but the PexPress tool necessary for that configuration is pretty expensive, so I'll probably go with the brass crimp since that tool is considerably more affordable and the brass crimp looks to be of good quality.

By the way, Basement_Lurker, the valves are now replaceable. For $7.95 you can buy a kit to replace a broken valve (see page 23: http://www.viega-na.com/downloads/pureflow-priceList.pdf).
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007