Man urinates in water, city flushes 8 million gallons

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Terry, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Because a 21-year-old man was caught on a security camera urinating into a city reservoir, Oregon's biggest city is sending 8 million gallons of treated drinking water down the drain.

Public health officials say, however, that urine is sterile in healthy people and that the urine in the reservoir was so diluted - perhaps a half pint in millions of gallons - that it posed little risk.

More of the story

To treat the dumped water will cost about $8,000
    The water itself is worth $28,000
    Are we just getting stupid?
    One man pees into 8 million gallons of water, and they freak out!
    Can you say ANAL?
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There was a water resevoir in Indiana which allowed boating, but not swimming. The local joke was that the kids took turns "falling out of the boat" and I can guarantee that not EVERYONE got out of the water to use the restroom. I can also almost guarantee that someone is peeing in the municipal swimming pools ever day, and they only hold about 50,000 gallons so the "concentration" is much greater. And if there are toddlers in diapers, urine is NOT the only thing in the pools, regardless of what their mothers say.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

"Lake water is better," he says, glancing up. "Most people think the water is better from a nice, running stream because it's so fresh and churned up. But the top few inches of lake water are zapped with ultraviolet rays from the sun, which are a very powerful disinfectant."

Dr. Howard Backer, a water purification expert and a past president of the Wilderness Medical Society
    http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-os-...,3004252.story
  4. Hardt

Hardt Member

Sometimes it's best to be ignorant... I've been watching Chef Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America and oftentimes he uncovers unbelievable filth in these restaurant's kitchen!!! I'm getting paranoid about eating out... don't we have inspectors from the Dept. of Health watching out for our dining safety??? Gross....

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

They have been peeing in the Beer making vats for years, so I have been told.

Years ago, there was a angry employee urinating in the coffee pot. No one got sick but they were saying the coffee tasted funny. We later caught him on a security camera.

Heck, at NASA they recycle urine and then drink it. I think I will pass on that one.

I wonder if that man got a fine, or did they send him down for a piss test.

DonL

P.S. Hardt they do have inspectors from the Dept. of Health, but they get free meals and often overlook violations. At least they are eating the same garbage that we get served. But never piss of your waiter, no telling what you will get.
  6. hj

quote; oftentimes he uncovers unbelievable filth in these restaurant's kitchen!!!

If that is the first time you saw or knew that, then you have NOT been repairing plumbing in those kitchens. It has been like that for DECADES if not centuries.
  7. Hardt

Hardt Member

Hj, yes, I have not been in many restaurant kitchens, much less fixing things in them! This thread reminds me of the comedian (possibly Rodney Dangerfield) whose line goes something like this "Are you crazy???...those critters pee, poop and have sex in the water, you won't catch ME swimming in the ocean!!" But as Terry said, it's all in the concentration!
  8. TJanak

TJanak Member

The solution to pollution is dilution.
  9. hj

quote; I have not been in many restaurant kitchens, much less fixing things in them!

If you had been, you would quickly realize that "ignorance is bliss" for people who do not know the conditions in many public kitchens. Agencies do inspect them, but there seems to be a degree of "untidyness" that is accepted.