making a230 volt run on 120volt well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

richwelder

Reaction score
i have a franklin electric wiring box -model 2801054915 hp1/2. volts 230 . i opened up the box and i was reading both 115and 220 volt diagrams . i would like to be able to run 115 side if needed . my genarator does not have the high starting amps to fire up that [ resistor or coil thing] thanku if some can shed some light on my problem

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
i have a franklin electric wiring box -model 2801054915 hp1/2. volts 230 . i opened up the box and i was reading both 115and 220 volt diagrams . i would like to be able to run 115 side if needed . my genarator does not have the high starting amps to fire up that [ resistor or coil thing] thanku if some can shed some light on my problem

The Current will double if you run it in 115.

If your generator can provide the needed power then you could use a 1-2 step-up transformer.

You should over rate for losses. If you figure 50% loss then you should have no problems running a motor, If you have enough start-up power, and use big enough wire conductors.

You may be better off getting a 230 Volt Generator, That runs on natural gas.

Be careful playing with electricity.

richwelder

Reaction score
You can't run a 230V pump on a 115V generator. The starting amps from a generator will be much lower for a 230V pump than a 115V pump.

i am sorry not to give more information my genarator is 4000 watts 30 amps running 220 i beleave i am a couple amps short

richwelder

Reaction score
yes sir i have 1977 onan rv Genarator 4000 watt 220 or 120 - 30/16 amps at 1800 rpm gas but recentlt converted to propane in my basement with a costom exshaust . i went to mcmaster carr i didnt see dcto ac transformers . i see the step ups 220/440 butt 440 makes me littel nerves . i do need to boost my amp from30 to maybe 40 i think that should doit

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no such thing as as DC to AC transformer. You need an inverter to do that, but when you start talking about 220 to 440 transformers, then I get a very definite feeling that you have absolutely no idea what you are trying to do. You can "jiggle" the voltage all you want, but you will ALWAYS wind up with the same amperage, or less, than you started with. If your generator will not run your 220/240 pump, then you need a different generator, not a different voltage.

DonL

Reaction score
yes sir i have 1977 onan rv Genarator 4000 watt 220 or 120 - 30/16 amps at 1800 rpm gas but recentlt converted to propane in my basement with a costom exshaust . i went to mcmaster carr i didnt see dcto ac transformers . i see the step ups 220/440 butt 440 makes me littel nerves . i do need to boost my amp from30 to maybe 40 i think that should doit

Not sure what all mods that you made other that fuel type, That was a smart move.

As long as the gen is running 1800 rpm if designed for that (some gas models are originally rated at 3600rpm for 60HZ out)

A 4000 watt generator should have no problem running a 1/2 horse water pump motor.

1/2 horse is less than 400 watts. Of course you have to add Loss. Even at 50 % loss you have plenty of power. (but not for the whole house at the same time, IE air conditioners also)

You should check your gen output frequency and wiring.

You should have the proper Switchover / Transfer switch installed also.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A 4000 watt generator should have no problem running a 1/2 horse water pump motor.
Maybe he doesn't have a 4000 watt generator. Did you do the math based on the volts and amps the OP claims the unit puts out?

By my calcs he is coming up way short.

DonL

Reaction score
Maybe he doesn't have a 4000 watt generator. Did you do the math based on the volts and amps the OP claims the unit puts out?

By my calcs he is coming up way short.

Even if it was a 3000 watt gen then it should run a 1/2 horse water pump.

It is probably a 8 hp gen.

If it don't work then it is wired wrong.

richwelder

Reaction score
thanks

i thank u all but i think should go back and start from scratch

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Starting from scratch, you can't wire or run a 230 volt motor from a 115 volt gererator, unless you use a buck/boost transformer to transform 115v to 230v first. Even a 2,000 watt generator will start a 1/2 HP pump, but the generator has to put out 230 volts.

richwelder

Reaction score
Starting from scratch, you can't wire or run a 230 volt motor from a 115 volt gererator, unless you use a buck/boost transformer to transform 115v to 230v first. Even a 2,000 watt generator will start a 1/2 HP pump, but the generator has to put out 230 volts.

ok something not making sense . i tested the volts coming out of the gen. and got 225 at 1800 to 2000 rpm the well would not turn on so then i made the mistake[months ago] of idleing up to 277 volts my lights almost blew up . fried the computer a tv ,gfi breaker and a coulpe power strips .that said my well needs 27 or 32 amps to kick on my max amp is only 30 but i dont know if it 30 on 120 or 220 [30/16] amps can it draw more amps on 120 or 220? whats the buck booster

DonL

Reaction score
ok something not making sense . i tested the volts coming out of the gen. and got 225 at 1800 to 2000 rpm the well would not turn on so then i made the mistake[months ago] of idleing up to 277 volts my lights almost blew up . fried the computer a tv ,gfi breaker and a coulpe power strips .that said my well needs 27 or 32 amps to kick on my max amp is only 30 but i dont know if it 30 on 120 or 220 [30/16] amps can it draw more amps on 120 or 220? whats the buck booster

The 30Amp would be the 120Volt rating and the 16Amp would be the 220Volt for the generator output.

You can not just increase the RPM to make more voltage, The gen needs to stay at 60 HZ out, so the gen needs to be at 1800RPM or your AC frequency will be off. The voltage you get is the voltage you get, Unless the generator has a voltage tap.

If the Pump motor is made to operate at 230v then it will most likely operate at 220V.

I do not see a 1/2 horse well-pump motor Needing more power than your gen can supply, If it is working properly. But it needs to be wired to the correct voltage.

A 1/2 Horse Pump Motor should not require 27 or 32 amps at 220V to kick on. Maybe it is a 120V pump motor ? Your Gen should run a 1/2 horse motor if it is working properly and is wired correctly.

Forget a buck booster if your power supply is not sufficient.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks