Make-up air

Users who are viewing this thread

Shopco

Reaction score
I want to build a fresh air duct into my house. It would have two purposes; one is to slightly pressurize the house with filtered air and the other is to provide make-up air for my range’s exhaust hood and the bathroom exhaust fan.

My main question here is what type of fan(s) should I use, but I’m not sure I know what I’m doing so any and all advice is welcome.

My house is a single story, 1,000sf. post-war bungalow (1950). It has its original steel casement windows and is far from sealed.

If I figured on 6 air changes per day, that works out to about 35cfm (24/7). The range hood (Vent-a-Hood, 2 blower) is, I think, rated at 600cfm. My guess is that that is pretty close to the actual installed rate since it goes straight up through the roof via 4’ of 10†duct.

My thinking is to use two fans. The fan for make-up air would be wired to both the bathroom fan and the range hood (clothes dryer?) so that it would come on when either of those fans does. I want to put the fans and filter housing in that useless space in the corner of an “L†kitchen counter. It would exhaust under the cabinets, which will be on casters.

I have 20â€x 20†filter boxes and powered dampers left over from a botched a/c job on my house, and was planning on using these.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If the house "... is far from sealed..." there's no need for active make-up air for the kitchen & exhaust fans.

But it WOULD be worth air-sealing the house, then provide mechanical ventilation where it's actually needed rather than relying on random holes in the building to provide ventilation & make-up air. That will improve comfort and indoor air quality (since the air is sourced along a know-clean path) as well as reduce cooling & heating loads. A small heat recovery ventilator (HRV) is probably going to be a better approach, which can be duty-cycled to provide sufficient background ventilation. They can be controlled to always come on when bath/kitchen exhaust ventilation is running, but that's not always necessary.

35 cfm is overkill for background ventilation on a 1000' house unless there are 3 or more people living there (or one smoker), and doesn't really do anything for make up air. HRV's are designed for balanced pressure, neither pressurizing nor depressurizing the house, but when an exhaust blower is going both the incoming and exhaust ports on the HRV become air-sources for the make up air. The latest 2013 version of ASHRAE 62.2 spells out 7.5cfm per human + 3cfm for every 100' of floor area (up from 1cfm/100' in the prior 2003 version) for residential buildings, but that is being heavily criticized by many since there is no science behind those numbers (not even the older version.)

A typical air-leaky 1000' bungalow has natural convection & wind driven infiltration well in excess of any version of the ASHRAE 62.2 ventilation standard, and active ventilation at 35cfm would be just a minor dilution/addition to whatever natural ventilation is occuring. A typical leaky house has a cumulative "effective hole size" as big or bigger than an open double-hung window.

More reading:

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi069-unintended-consequences-suck/view

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/62474/Lstiburek-Has-New-Ventilation-Standard-Resistance-May-Not-Be-Futile

http://www.floridaenergy.ufl.edu/wp-content/uploads/FESC_Home_Energy_Analysis_final_7-27-10.pdf

http://www.pureenergyaudits.com/docs/Blower_Door_Handout_ACI_Baltimore.pdf

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Air sealing is easier & cheaper than you might think. Most newbie DIYers spend way to much time chasing the small leaks, and are ignorant of the bigger leaks that really matter. The pros know where to look, and can usually identify the bigger leaks even without blower door testing.

But blower door testing makes it pretty easy to find the first 90% of the leaks. As long as your house isn't full of asbestos it's legal to run blower-door tests to chase down those leaks, but it's the big leaks are the most important, and they are pretty similar in most houses. Leakage detected by a blower door is not all of equal importance- those at the foundation and at the attic come first, since they are what define the stack height of the "stack effect" drive, an infiltration drive that that runs 24/365.

On wood-framed buildings like CA bungalows the three biggest and most important leaks (in no particular order) tend to be:

* Foundation sill & band joist leakage (usually more than all window and door crackage leaks combined.)

* Flue & plumbing (and sometimes electrical) chases that run from basement to attic unimpeded.

* Holes in the upper floor ceiling/attic floor plane for electrical fixtures (recessed lighting being among the worst offenders), and AC/heating ducts.

Balloon framing sans-insulation is sometimes an issue for older bungalows, but probably not in a circa 1950 unit, since top-plates to all framing and fire-blocking between floors became required by building codes in most locations by then.

Fireplaces are also a common source of infiltration drive in cooler climates, not sure if most homes in Riverside CA would have that issue.

With a DIY approach to air-sealing significant progress on the big holes can be made with a $100-200 in materials and 10 hours of sweat-equity, half of which is figuring out where the big holes are, which isn't always obvious to the uninitiated, but easy to find with blower doors. In 1.5 story bungalows kneewall attic rooms into vented attic-cubby-crawls have all sorts of air-sealing issues that aren't always dead-obvious. Air sealing as a service is often provided by better insulation companies for $1000-2000 who use blower doors & infra-red cameras to chase it, and guarantee some minimum before/after percentage reduction. But the bulk of the reduction is in the first 5 big holes, which are pretty similar in most homes. When you're starting out with an untreated sieve of a house the first 50-60% is usually dead-easy and obvious, so if you're so inclined, a DIY first stab at it is almost always going to be worthwhile.

As measured by the pros with a blower door the leakage is usually expressed in cfm at a code & industry standardized pressure difference of 50 pascals or "cfm/50" for shorthand. They would normally measure it by both pressurizing and depressurizing the house. For code compliance issues that get converted to a total air exhanges per hour number or ACH/50 by calculating the enclosed volum of the house (including the basement, but not a vented attic.)

Under IRC-2009 rules new housing had to be under 7ACH/50, which is more like a stripe on the floor than a hurdle, for houses built with 4x8 plywood or OSB sheathing, and paying any attention at all to air sealing, and dead-easy to retrofit to in most homes. Under IRC 2012 that has been bumped up to 3 ACH/50, which is still pretty easy to hit without remediation on new construction, but can be a bit tougher level to retrofit to in some plank-sheathed balloon framed older housing. A 1000' house with a full (but unfinished, and not included in the square footage) basement and 9' ceilings for both would have a total enclosed volume of about 18,000 cubic feet. A leaky house that size will often initially test at ~3000 cfm/50, which means a complete air exchanges occurs every six minutes, or 10 air exchanges per hour. But those houses are usually pretty easy to bring under 2000 cfm/50, and sometimes easy to bring under 1500cfm/50, either of which is a HUGE improvement.

It only gets to be a mammoth undertaking if you're trying to meet a fairly tight specification like 2 ACH50 or less, which would likely require new windows and a lot of work, especially if it's a plank-sheathed house with clapboard or shingle siding, as is the case for many pre-1950 CA bungalows. If you're luck yours would have been built with plywood sheathing, but often in that time frame it was 1x10 ship-lap laid on the diagonal for wall-bracing, with a layer of #15 felt (tar-paper) between the sheathing and siding. Even the latter can be tightened up a lot by retrofitting blown cellulose in the wall cavities over whatever the original insulation there is (if any), which has other benefits as well, but at additional expense. If your house has no wall insulation at all (pretty common in 1950) it's probably leaking like a sieve even if sheathed in plywood, and retrofitting blown cellulose would be worth it on multiple grounds. But blowing in wall insulation is a bit beyond where DIYers would typically go.

CA being a highly regulated state that subsidizes energy efficiency, your house might qualify for significant air-sealing & insulation upgrade subsidies if it has no wall insulation. (I'm sure contractors that offer both air sealing and insulation would be all over it.)

Shopco

Reaction score
Thanks again Dana for your most informative answer; tutorial really. It is going to take me some time to process all this information and determine what course of action, if any, will fit within my available resources of time, money, and skills.

Shopco

Reaction score
Dana; Your answers are of great value and interest and I am in the process of digesting them. You have certainly altered my thinking and as a result I now think I should deal with my original catch-all plan as separate problems. Make-up air for the hood is what I want to concentrate on right now.

What I want is a more (i.e. very) effective range hood.

I can empirically determine the effectiveness of the hood by observing the path of smoke and steam. Also by noting the amount of grease and oil deposited on the outside of the hood, the walls, and ceiling, as well as by the amount of odors present when cooking.

I made a quantum leap when I replaced my old hood with a 600cfm Vent-a-Hood and ducted it straight up through the roof.

I can see that the hood works better still when I crack open a window. This tells me that the hood is starved for air and, when on, is depressurizing the house. If the hood were getting all the air it could handle through natural air infiltration then opening a window or door would have no effect.

Logic tells me that if I actually force air into the house such that I maintain positive pressure (within the house) while the hood is on then I will have achieved the best possible performance for that hood. The cfm required to accomplish this would, I suppose, have to be 600cfm plus enough to overcome whatever leaks out, but again, logically it seems that 600cfm would be better than none.

My plan is to do this via a filtered duct from an outside wall but I don’t know what kind of blower to use and I thought you guys on this forum could advise me of the best choice.

Thanks to all

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
We cook alot, and have a large Viking gas range, with an 1800 cmf exhauster on the roof. We need MUA - 600 cfm is, IMO is right on the edge of needing MUA.

I remodeled the kitchen back in 2005 - so I did this with it ripped down to the studs:

I used an axial fan (Fantech I think?). Google axial fan.

In the range exhaust duct to the roof, I installed a pressure switch (from Grainger) that turns the axial on when the pressure reaches a set point (you adjust with a screwdriver) - switch was about $75. I did this cause we don't always run the exhauster at full blast.

You could install a switch in the kitchen when you want the MUA (ventilation), or use motor control switch (these fans are variable speed).

Fantech Literature:

http://www.fantech.net/Documentation/Fans%20and%20Accessories/450399%20FR%20Brochure%20EN.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks