Mainline Repair Still Leaks

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Kiko, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Kiko

Kiko New Member

The main line of my parents' sprinkler system was ruptured by their landscaper. It is a 1" black poly tube. I cut off the bad portion and clamped on a 1" hose connector using 2 worm gear clamps. I kept the line straight when repairing this and tightened down the clamps as much as I can, but the repair still leaks a bit. If this was on a zone, I wouldn't care, but since it is on the main line, it is always pressurized.

Do I have any other options for repairing this? I know they make compression fittings for PVC/PEX and shark fittings, but I don't think they work on the thinner walled poly pipe. Or do they? They also sell crimp-on clamps, but I didn't want to buy the expensive crimper, and not sure if those clamps will seal any better.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Black Poly?
    You can buy new poly, fittings and hose clamps. You just need to replace whatever is leaking.
    It normally goes back together real nicely.
  3. Kiko

Kiko New Member

I repaired the bad section, but the hose clamps don't seem to be sealing the poly pipe to the hose connector.
  4. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

There are barbed inserts made for poly pipe, are you using a regular garden hose connector? This is probably the problem.
  5. Kiko

Kiko New Member

The fitting I used was a 1" gray plastic hose connector with barbed ends.