Main valve leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Flapper

Reaction score
I took a look in the meter box (never looked in there before) and found the real main valve. It was partially buried in moist soil so I dug that out by hand to expose it all.

The gate valve says Japan on it, and it turns easily, like a new valve, so I think it can be trusted not to break, but I wouldn't close it unless necessary (I learned my lesson about gate valves the (very) hard way.).

Anyway, I found that the gate valve is leaking at its connection(s). :eek:

Questions:
  1. How difficult would it be to repair?
  2. Do you think it is worth repairing? If not, can it be patched?
  3. What is that device before it, is that a check valve?
  4. If the meter and the upstream plumbing is owned by the water company, does that mean I can, or cannot, turn that little ball valve before the meter?
Also I think the little RF box touches the gate valve when the lid is put on, causing the lid to be bumped up. I worry this may damage things. I put a piece of pipe foam to raise the end of the lid so that it doesnt touch the gate valve.

i225h8A.jpg
lEmnyRT.jpg
i90KoKQ.jpg

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That device before the valve is a filter.My main concern is the nipples on the valve, if you try to any work on those nipples they are just going to break and when that happens replace with brass.AND THEY WILL BREAK!

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Also I think the little RF box touches the gate valve when the lid is put on, causing the lid to be bumped up. I worry this may damage things. I put a piece of pipe foam to raise the end of the lid so that it doesnt touch the gate valve.
Turn the lid around so that the RF device is at the meter end of the box.

Flapper

Reaction score
That device before the valve is a filter.My main concern is the nipples on the valve, if you try to any work on those nipples they are just going to break and when that happens replace with brass.AND THEY WILL BREAK!
Thanks. Yeah they will certainly be replaced if any work is done to it, no doubt about that. Look how rusted they are!
My concern is how much work/how difficult it would be to repair it.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Shouldn't you find out if this is possibly the responsibility of the water company to fix?

Flapper

Reaction score
Shouldn't you find out if this is possibly the responsibility of the water company to fix?
I thought everything after the meter is the owner's property and responsibility, maybe I am (kinda) wrong? Would be nice if I were. I should look into it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Which way is the water flowing? According to the strainer it is flowing AWAY from the valve and into the meter, which would make it your problem to fix.

Flapper

Reaction score
Which way is the water flowing? According to the strainer it is flowing AWAY from the valve and into the meter, which would make it your problem to fix.
The water should be flowing from the meter to the valve and to the house... is the filter backwards?? o_O
Why is there a filter there?

Flapper

Reaction score
Don't forget my questions
Questions:
  1. How difficult would it be to repair?
  2. Do you think it is worth repairing? If not, can it be patched?
  3. What is that device before it, is that a check valve?
  4. If the meter and the upstream plumbing is owned by the water company, does that mean I can, or cannot, turn that little ball valve before the meter?

Flapper

Reaction score
Since it's in the meter box, you might get lucky...
I'd have to look into it :D
It might be because this box is before the RPZ so this part touches city water and they may care about the stuff that their water is touching.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I don't think that is filter. I expect pressure reducing valve.

2. Can you tell if the leaking is from the valve or from something connected to the valve?

3. Is that enclosure open on the bottom, or does it have a solid bottom?

Flapper

Reaction score
1. I don't think that is filter. I expect pressure reducing valve.
That doesn't look like a PRV, and why would it be a PRV when there's a PRV just after that?

2. Can you tell if the leaking is from the valve or from something connected to the valve?
It could either be leaking from the valve's connection or from the filter/checkvalve/prv thingamabob's connection. The other side of the valve is also wet so it appears to be leaking to, though much less. So I assume that both connections to the valve are leaking.

3. Is that enclosure open on the bottom, or does it have a solid bottom?
I think it is open on the bottom. The bottom is dirt with gravel mixed in it.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I cannot see a valve before the meter, you may have to contact your water provider to do this work.
As far doing the work itself you have to excavate in and around the box to expose all piping then I would just cut it all out to PRV and replace with type l copper or brass nipples and it is not an easy job any way you look at it.

Flapper

Reaction score
I cannot see a valve before the meter, you may have to contact your water provider to do this work.
There is a little ball valve right before the meter in the shadow.
I increased the exposure/brightness of the image so you can see it.
I should take a better picture.
oXdS6kd.jpg

Flapper

Reaction score
I took a new picture of that little ball valve and I also got a closer look at the leaking gate valve.

IwF9XxH.jpg

ccNNmov.jpg

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Okay good, now to shut that valve off make the lock holes line up and you can do the work.And like I said replace all from the meter to PRV.
Get rid of the strainer use this instead.

Attachments

• meter.jpg
    meter.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 226
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks