Main valve humming

Users who are viewing this thread

MK_Chicago

Reaction score

Hi All,

I am getting a loud hissing/humming noise from a valve (?) where water comes into my house. It is located on the wall in my basement. It seems to make the noise when multiple sources of water are on such as a toilet filling up and the kitchen sink is filling up.

Is there some type of adjustment that needs to be made or does this need to be replaced?

Please forgive any incorrect terminology.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your pressure reduction valve is failing...time for a replacement. Some can be rebuilt, but between buying the parts and the labor and time and chance for error, most people just replace it with a new one. It's also possible that you've expanded things over the years, and your supply line may be marginal for your current maximum use.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just because I could, when I installed my PRV, I plumbed in a pressure gauge between the PRV and the thermal expansion tank. With that I can tell at a glance if my pressure is holding and I don't have to dig in the shop to find the pesky gauge, and if do want to reset the pressure, the gauge is right there already connected. Not a big deal, just handy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks