Main Stack Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark C

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am doing a large addition with 4 fixtures, toilet, whirlpool tub, walk-in shower and lav. The main stack is 30' away from the farthest fixture (toilet).

I had an outside cleanout, to the main stack, installed before this project started. Indoors, the main stack has a cleanout, that has never been used.

I am wondering if I can put a male 4" connector on the cleanout. Then run up some 4" pvc and put a Y on it. Then connect the new drains into it.

Or should I just cut the 4" main and put PVC and a Y onto it? The cleanout and main stack are next to each other.

Thanks, Mark.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanout

Whether the cleanout has ever been used or not is not the question. It is a cleanout and as such is not supposed to be used as a connection point, especially if it is a two way cleanout fitting in the main line.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
hj said:
Whether the cleanout has ever been used or not is not the question. It is a cleanout and as such is not supposed to be used as a connection point, especially if it is a two way cleanout fitting in the main line.

Exactly...unless it's an E.C.O. - you add a new E.C.O. at the end of a wye that extends from the original place of the cleanout...also...remove the old cleanout...you shouldn't put a threaded fitting into it.
If removing it turns into a nightmare...call a plumber, thats your waste main.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks