Main Shutoff Valve, Good Choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I need to replace the main shutoff valve in my house.
The city water is hard on faucets and valves.

I've decided to go with a 1/4 Turn Ball Valve.

The supply comes in on copper with a sweated on valve.
It has to be replaced every few years, and I want a more
long life solution.

Is the following valve a good choice for a LONG life valve
that the city water won't eat up in a few years?

Nibco 3/4" S585–70–66 Full Port 2 piece Bronze valve.
http://www.nibco.com/assets/TS585706BV.pdf

The selection guide says it's for "Aggressive Water Applications"
Design Features:
Full port for high flow coefficient
316 stainless steel stem and ball
Adjustable packing
Metal to metal end-piece to body seal

Reaction score
This particular house is located in NW Indiana in an area where sulfur water is common.

Even though the city supposedly "treats" it, the water corrodes faucets leaving a white rough powdery looking corrosion.
Eventually the faucets begin to "freeze" up at the point they routinely are opened, and faucets that aren't used often enough will freeze up entirely.

This REALLY has played havoc on main shut off valves through the years.
In almost no time after being replaced, they begin to get harder to turn, then require a wrench to turn them, then they entirely freeze up.
NOW that the house is in my hands, I'm gonna spend more on a good 1/4 turn ball valve and get away with the conventional type valves that have been used to no avail before now.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know of any valve that would work better than the ball valve with SS innards. You might ask some local plumber what they use/recommend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks