Main sewer line depth

Users who are viewing this thread

diganddig

Reaction score
Hello

I'm in Calgary Alberta and I need to replace my sewer line from the house to the property line. Current plan is to abandon the old line and trench in a new one. I'll break the basement floor and tie into the existing stack.

How deep does the sewer from the house to the property line have to run - I'm guessing 6'.

What about the portion under my basement floor? Can it go straight down 4' from the basement floor and then head out from there. It will be 9' deep outside the house but only 4' below the basement slab. Is that okay?

What pitch should I shoot for - is 1/4" to 1/2" per foot about right. Is it better to add a vertical drop than to exceed the 1/2" per foot.

Where can I get a look at applicable plumbing code to make sure I do this right? I will be getting it inspected, but I want to know what I'm doing before putting too much effort into the trench.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

diganddig

Reaction score
According to a city inspector, a Calgary sewer can be a minimum of 4' from the surface provided that a proper frost box is installed.

Next question - what's a frost box?

index.php

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
you better check on the depth to the sewer in the street before you decide to do anything

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks