Main sewer line blockage--roots. How would you proceed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew85

Reaction score
We've had a certain rooter company out twice in the past week to get rid of some blockage. They claimed not to be able to pass a 4" blade all the way through (had to step down to 3" due to a blockage somewhere underneath the driveway, about halfway to the main line). So we went to the camera, and found that it got stopped by a nest of roots. Whether this was THE blockage, we don't know....that's as far as it would go though. The prognosis is not good though, as they suggested the only solution is to replace the clay pipe from the point of blockage out to the main line. With that would come an approximately $2000 pricetag.

We're just not sure how to proceed from here. Would you....

-Take the estimate given and give the green light?
-Call other plumbers for an estimate? Would they do a free estimate or should we expect a fee? (We can only describe what the rooter man has told us and show them the video of the pipe.)
-Call other plumbers to see if they can free the blockage? Or is it the type of deal where if one guy can't get the pipe "clean"--it likely can't be done?

(I can fill in with plenty more details, if needed, just didn't want the first post to turn into a book.)

Thanks in advance.....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is that if the roots got into that clay pipe, routing it out will only have a very temporary effect - trees just love that water and will be back soon. There must be a leak, doesn't have to be very big. If there is one, there may be more. One o fthe pros will give you some more experienced thoughts.

Andrew85

Reaction score
That's a good point. The roots are pretty much coming in at each joint in the clay pipe, obviously more in some spots than others. Replacing the pipe is inevitable, however, we're also not planning to be here more than 1-2 years. We've already nixed the suggestion that we go ahead and replace ALL of the clay piping ($6000-7000). But if we can get by on a few more rooter jobs over the next year or two ($120 each) and maybe hold the new growth off a bit with copper sulfate.......... This is assuming someone else can get through this blockage with the rooter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
roots

Whether the roots can be cut out depends on how massive the incursion is. I have cut fairly thick masses of roots, it just takes longer to do it. With the proper sized cutter, the roots will not return for a while. I usually tell my customers to not replace anything until the system needs snaking more than once a year.

Ravz

Reaction score
I had this exact problem, and also wanted a temporary fix, untill we were ready to dig up the driveway and yard etc..

First thing, call a different rooter guy. We used one, that used a video camera and a very high pressure water jet that cut through the roots like butter.. it cost about 450CDN, but it was well worth it. After that I bought some root killer and put it in the line.. You can't get it in canada, but I ordered it from the US.

Its called Roetix Foaming Root Killer.

Andrew85

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. We're still treading lightly (read: not much TP use at all!) and haven't had a back up again. Trying to figure out whether or not homeowner's will cover this, and if so, what exactly they will and won't. What a mess. In the meantime, I do hope to get either some more estimates or have another rooter man attempt to clear it. Again, thanks for the tips...

jdewees

Operating engineer
Reaction score
If you can get through the blockage then you need to figure out exactly where the soil line is and how deep.You can take a 2" hand auger and drill several holes over the pipe (Where you can without tearing up any concrete or asphalt) stop about 30" above the pipe.Then you need to take 1" 1/2 PVC pipe drop them into the hole and then you can take the copper sulfate and pour it into the PVC I believe it is about half way up the pipe and the fill the rest with hot water repeat about every four months.This should keep the roots away from the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks