main service to the house

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike.Schwank

Reaction score
Recently found out that on the system servicing out house we have:

6inch main that has one, 1 inch branch (width of street) that then has a T to two meters and then then from each meter goes a 1" or 3/4" service to the each house. both houses are about 100-150 feet from the meter(s).

because of low pressure I put in a pump (1/2 hp) and bladder tank. My neighbor gets a pressure drop when this kicks on...

is it normal to service two 3-4 bedroon houses from one 1" pipe (black PVC)?

thanks.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
a 3/4" line will service up to 2 bathrooms, laundry,silcock and a kitchen.
for two residences this size, you'd need 1-1/4" minimum.
You'd do well to call the local DPW and inquire.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
a 3/4" line will service up to 2 bathrooms, laundry,silcock and a kitchen.
for two residences this size, you'd need 1-1/4" minimum.
You'd do well to call the local DPW and inquire.

Actually, on second thought I stand corrected...1" should be fine as long as there aren't any more fixtuires than I presumed...furthering the idea that you should call the DPW regarding the pressure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

It was done here for years, but at least one city has discontinued the practice. Your neighbor's experience is the same as what happens when many people in a neighborhood decide to add booster pumps to their systems. If there is not enough water to feed both houses, then there is definitely not enough to feed two when one of them has a pump sucking the water out of the pipe. I think the water company could make you remove it because of the degradation of the neighbor's water supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks