main service to the house

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mike.schwank, Jul 9, 2007.

1. mike.schwank

mike.schwank New Member

Recently found out that on the system servicing out house we have:

6inch main that has one, 1 inch branch (width of street) that then has a T to two meters and then then from each meter goes a 1" or 3/4" service to the each house. both houses are about 100-150 feet from the meter(s).

because of low pressure I put in a pump (1/2 hp) and bladder tank. My neighbor gets a pressure drop when this kicks on...

is it normal to service two 3-4 bedroon houses from one 1" pipe (black PVC)?

thanks.
  2. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

a 3/4" line will service up to 2 bathrooms, laundry,silcock and a kitchen.
    for two residences this size, you'd need 1-1/4" minimum.
    You'd do well to call the local DPW and inquire.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

4. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Actually, on second thought I stand corrected...1" should be fine as long as there aren't any more fixtuires than I presumed...furthering the idea that you should call the DPW regarding the pressure.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

It was done here for years, but at least one city has discontinued the practice. Your neighbor's experience is the same as what happens when many people in a neighborhood decide to add booster pumps to their systems. If there is not enough water to feed both houses, then there is definitely not enough to feed two when one of them has a pump sucking the water out of the pipe. I think the water company could make you remove it because of the degradation of the neighbor's water supply.
  6. mike.schwank

mike.schwank New Member

Thanks everyone!!