Main line clogged or venting issue

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by rhino0628, Oct 24, 2009.

1. rhino0628

rhino0628 New Member

Hey, I need some help. Here's whats going on. Two story house with toilets on main level and second floor. Both toilets don't flush or flush very slowly. I thought it was the main line, so I removed the main clean out plug and it was clear. So I left the cap off and flushed both toilets and they drained perfectly. So now I'm thinking it's a clogged vent. I also ran a snake down the main line 40ft and didn't hit anything. If I put the cap back on, the toilets don't flush again.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

In that case you may have a vent problem, but you definitely have a sewer stoppage problem also. You just may need a longer snake.
  3. llouk

llouk New Member

I have similar problem. toilets slow and ...

The toilets flush slowly, have to hold the handles down until finished for complete flush. Also noticed toilet gurgles while showering. What should I do? Not too handy with this sort of problem.
    Thanks,:(
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You have a partly clogged drain. It's time to call a plumber to auger it. Do not use chemicals, they will not work and will cause a hazard for the plumber.
  5. llouk

llouk New Member

I have similar problem. toilets slow and ...

Thanks, I will call a plumber. Hopefully not the line to the street! No digging is much preferred.:D
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The only time a drain line has to be dug up is to repair or replace it. A clog is handled with a an auger. It does require a professional grade auger which is definitely not a DIY tool even if you could lay hands on one. The smaller size that are available for DIY usually are too small to be effective.
  7. llouk

llouk New Member

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully a more manageable solution. Glad not to anticipate digging project. Will call a plumber!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.