Main line backed up...need help now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Just got back from a business trip and found water in the basement. I went to go pump it out and realized my main line is backed up. I have water coming out of the basement toilet.

I have insurance through "safety valve" provided through my water company. I called them and they said I can get someone out tonight if I want, just find a licensed guy in the phonebook.

Being a forum member for a while I see all the warnings about hiring the ROOTER guys.

WHAT DO I DO? Should i call someone tonight(it's midnight) or so I wait till the morning?
Also should the guy know how the whole insurnace thing works? Do you guys know what's typical? Do I pay and they reimburse me?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Most of us don't know how your insurance policy works. You should call them ask them about who, payment options, limits, other specifics, etc.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I have a guy coming out this morning.I spoke with the insurance and since they are still closed (open in another hour) they give a conditional approval of $200.00 for the work.

The guy coming out said around $250-300. Which I would imagine is more typical for the work. (barring any issues)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It could run between $125 and $1,000, depending on the difficulty in clearing it. If the insurance company covers their company regardless of the difficulty, I would wait, rather than take a chance on a large shortage.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
So line is cleared....i got a local guy who came out at 9am. Took maybe 1/2 hour to clear the line.

The cost was 285.00 to snake for first 100' and $35 for a new cap bc he had to break out the old one. So about $340 when all was said and done

The insurance company authorized the dollar amount and I just need to submit for reimbursement now.

He replaced my cap with a "fitall" that he just hammered into place in the floor cleanout. Anything I should be concerned with on that piece?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Lead fitall's are a cheap way to cap off a sewer when the threads are defective. Personally I would of informed you that the threads are in bad shape and need to be replaced, and gave you a quote on replacing the cleanout ferule. If you did not want to go with the repair then I would of installed the lead fitall.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Well the threads weren't in bad shape....I bet they are now aren't they? :-(

This cleanout is castiron and flush with the concrete. The cap that was there was brass that he chiseled out.

Any recommendations or do I just live with what I've got now?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If the drain every has to be cleaned again, that will be the time to fix it right.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The lead is a lot softer than CI, so it should not have damaged them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks