Main line backed up again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
What do you mean "the downspouts are going to go into the ground, now that I know the line goes to the sanitary sewer"? Unless your city has a combination sewer system, and most have abandoned the concept, you CANNOT connect your rain gutters to the sanitary sewer.

The city did/does have combined sewer/storm. Over by me they are seperate (2 systems). House is over 100yrs old so I expected the downspouts were going to dry wells or something. When they dug up the sewer line they found a 2ND seperate line several feet above the sanitary that was where the downspouts were piped to. It was 6" PVC so apparently done not too long ago. Our best guess is someone actually ran a line for the storm water when or after the storm/sanitary split project came to our neighborhood. This was from what I understand in the 50's-60's, so maybe in the 70[s-80s someone did this work.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Ok so a new line will be installed. It is scheduled for next week. I will be paying the addl $ out of pocket above the insurance cap. The old line will be abandoned and the new one will go out the sidewall. It will be 6" PVC. I will have to lose one basement window well b/c it is right where the digging will occur.

What should I know or look out for? He said they will use a jackhammer or something like that to go out the sidewall. Foundation is old 12-16" stone, not concrete or cinderblock.

I replaced the crappy leaking fitall with a test plug in the floor cleanout, but I'm second guessing that. My "backup" is now not as controlable. We're trying to limit water usage to bare minimum until the work is done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks