Main gate valve broken in "shut off position".

Users who are viewing this thread

Ruben Torres

Ruwolf22
Reaction score
Pre 1965 trac home, in Ca. shut the water off to replace a kitchen faucet, when closing the valve ,I notice it was tight initially, but as I turned the wheel handle and shaft , it felt a little loosy, but closed, nonetheless. (Galvanized vertical pipe, from the soil to a spigot , shut off in between) Returning to turn the water back on, the wheel handle just spins and the gate valve is in a closed position.
Any suggestions or advice? Or do I need a plumber?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ouch!
If the brass stem has stripped and is now left in the closed position, it will need replacing. Not an easy DIY job.
I've only had this happen once to me. It was on a common well system for five homes. I had to shut everybody down to do the repair. You should have a water meter that you can use for shut off your home to make the repair.

I'm liking ball valves more and more these days.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I've only had this happen once to me.

I think half the homes in this area have had the broken gate removed from the valves. I NEVER tighten a gate valve too much, because if I do, it will probably either break when I close it or when I try to open it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Terry and HJ have covered this pretty well. Obviously you have to replace the valve. Can you DIY? That really depends on your experience, but I would really lean toward a plumber. Galvanize pipe means cutting and threading. Doubtful you have the equipment and/or the experience to do DIY.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks