Main Drain Semi Clog?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by lordmoosh, Aug 3, 2008.

1. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Hello everyone. My house is a colonial style home built in the early 1960's. The second floor bathroom toilet used to be 3.5GPF and was replaced with a 1.6GPF Toto UltraMax last year. All of the faucets have been switched to low flow (1.5GPM-2.0GPM). The showerhead is also lowflow (1.5GPM-2.5GPM) with a shutoff valve for use when lathering. I have effectively reduced our water consumption by one third.

Recently we replaced our basement toilet which was a 1962 model. I am not sure if it was 3.5GPF or 5.0GPF. Did 60's era toilets come in 3.5 or 5 usually? Anyway we replaced it with a 1.6GPF Jacuzzi toilet from Lowes. My dad installed it initially and used two wax rings. I am not sure why he thought he had to use two wax rings. The floor has some very thin tile and was maybe 1/4 of an inch higher than the flange. A week after his installed the toilet stopped flushing correctly. I flushed the toilet and the toilet bowl would fill up with water. Some water would leak out from the bottom of the toilet. (The reason we replaced our old toilet was because it was also leaking water out the bottom of the toilet, so we thought it would be a good time to replace it). I noticed a couple of things wrong with his install. The water fill hose was not going into the overflow tube but directly into the toilet tank. I pointed it tower the overflow tube. I also noticed that the water in the tank was not going up to the water line so I adjusted the water valve so the water would fill just up to the water line for optimum downward pressure. The toilet was still not flushing properly. The floor tiling was old so I ripped out the floor and cleaned up the mastic (thinking maybe the wax ring wasn't sealing). The cement floor was flush with the drain flange so I picked up a standard size wax ring with one of those small plastic tubes that hang off the wax from Home Depot. I reinstalled the toilet and the toilet was still not flushing correctly. The only difference was that there was no more leak from the bottom of the toilet. When I flushed the toilet I would hear air come out of the other drains in the basement. This lead me to believe these is some obstruction in the main drain which goes out to the sewer. The sink in the laundry room, where the washer drains its water into, is very slow to drain. The washer drain hose has a metal mesh around it to catch any lint that comes out of the washer but I am thinking it does not work perfectly. I tried snaking through the toilet drain after I took the toilet off but I seem to hit a wall. I have never snaked prior to this so I do not know much about snaking. Any thoughts?

1) If the toilet drain flange is flush with the ground, a standard size wax ring is the correct size to get? (as opposed to an oversized wax ring)
    2) From the description I gave, is it possible that I have an obstruction in the main drain that goes to the sewer? How can I deal with it?
    3) What is an effective way to catch washer lint from a drain hose? Is the mesh stuff standard practice or is there a better way?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post!
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Your problem is a clogged drain line. Your best option is to call a pro!
    They will have the proper equipment and knowledge to deal with your problem quickly. DIYer drain cleaning seldom has a desirable outcome.
  3. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Thanks. We made an appointment for a guy to come clear out the drain. He also has cameras which he can use to check for damage, if we need to.