Main Drain Pipe Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Vince B, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Vince B

Vince B New Member

Hello all,
    I wanted to know if it would be ok to cut the subfloor as marked in the red area.
    I have attached a picture to better illustrate. The picture was taken from the basement and is the main drain pipe which also goes straight up and attaches directly to the vent stack. I need to get access to the drywall that is behind there but didn't want to start cutting if it will adversely affect the ABS pipe movement, integrity, etc... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
    Vince B

Attached Files:

2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Seems fine to cut the subfloor section out. If the pipe moves or requires stability strap it to the joist with some p-tape. (plumbers tape)
  3. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

Looks like there is metal plumbers strapping already around the pipe. Is that right?
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It appears there is by the upper elbow.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

floor

As long as you do not cut the pipe, there is no reason you cannot do what you are asking. That section of floor has absolutely nothing to do with the drain line.
  6. Vince B

Vince B New Member

Yes, that is a metal strap on the upper elbow so I should be good to go.
    Thank you all again for your honest and professional input.

Best Regards,
    Vince B