Main Drain Pipe Leakage

Users who are viewing this thread

Vince B

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a leak in my main drain stack at the 3 " ABS pipe joint that is right between the basement and the first floor (subfloor). The leak is on the backside against the drywall (firewall) and on the other side is our neighbors since we live in a 1/2 double (twin) home. I have a few questions. I presume a plumber or myself will have to cut the drywall in the kitchen to gain access to the 3" ABS pipe. I see no way of repairing just from the basement? If so how much drywall would need to be removed on the first floor. How wide and high? Would I also need to remove the wall base floor moulding or could that stay? The ABS pipe goes up from the leak in one piece till it gets to the second floor. Also I should request to have it repaired with ABS not PVC correct? Finally, any rough estimates on how much this will cost? Thank you in advance for all your professional Information.

Attachments

• Main Drain I.jpg
    Main Drain I.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 584
  • Main Drain II.jpg
    Main Drain II.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Main Drain III.jpg
    Main Drain III.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 438
  • Main Drain IV.JPG
    Main Drain IV.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,049

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I would cut the drywall from stud to stud on the width, it makes repairing alot easier. As for height, for a good work space I would cut about 18" high. The plumber would need to get sawzall in there and maybe remove some kind of riser support. I don't think you need to remove the base moulding. I figure the plumber will be able to cut the ABS above the moulding and down below on the down stream side of the 1/8 bend and should be able to pull the piece down from the ceiling of the first floor. That would be an ideal situation but until you open the wall you never know what you're gonna find so be prepared to open more wall or remove the moulding if need be. And yes, you should replace with ABS. As for price, I'd get some quotes from different plumbers. Good luck!

Vince B

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. If I use a sharp utility knife I should be able to reuse the drywall. If I cut from stud to stud should I cut to the middle of the stud or the outer edge of each stud. Thanks.

Alan Muller

Reaction score
Are you confident that the leakage is at the joint into the upper end of the bend and not running down the pipe from higher up? I'm asking because a joint like this usually won't show leakage under normal use unless there is a blockage below. A leaking roof penetration, for instance, can trickle water down the stack and show up in the basement.

You might put a collar of paper towel above and below the joint you suspect.....

If it really is that joint, and you can get fingers around it, you might clean it up real well, sand it a bit, blow it out with an air hose if you have one, and work some thin epoxy into the joint. That is surely what I'd do before getting into cutting out a piece of the stack in that position.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks