Made a pigs ear of a job

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Goldeneye, May 16, 2009.

1. Goldeneye

Goldeneye New Member

My mum and dad have a cast iron bath with a rigid over flow and a copper trap from either just before or just after ww2.

We tried to removed the waste and overflow to fit a sprung combined waste and over flow. the over flow was disconnected no problem and the new one fitted but the waste will not come out! I dunno what to do now :(

The nut underneath was cut off as it was ceased from about 60+ years of not being used. but even though its all flush the waste just will not come out.

Help please!!!!!!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Please post pictures
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

overflow

We have no idea what you did or are trying to do, because the drain and overflow are a combination, so if you change one part you would normally do the whole thing at the same time.
  4. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

But I do like the title of the thread. :cool:
  5. Goldeneye

Goldeneye New Member

Not all are combined. ours is from just after world war 2 are has a rigid overflow that terminates outside of the building like in the picture on the left in this link.

http://www.showerdoctor.com/removing_cast-iron_bath.php

And it is being replaced with a new type like this.

http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/sprung-plug-bath-waste-overflow-ek321-p-2376.html

We got around the problem using a dremmel to cut away the brass locknut and prized it away from the threads. if I can find them il take some pictures of how bad they were. but here are the old overflows and the copper trap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

That olds trap rocks! I've never seen a trap drain on the side like that.
  7. Goldeneye

Goldeneye New Member

Yeah, bet it wouldnt open now though!