Macclean mineral tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Morrelli

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have this old water softener setup. Not sure I want to replace it just yet. Can anyone tell me what the large tank is? I'm guessing it is to capture minerals from our well water supply. It's leaking and it's probably 20 years old so looking to replace just that tank for now. Water is being softened just fine, but from the looks of dried water spots on glasses, etc, I'm not sure if any minerals are being scrubbed. Pics of label on tank and control but I can't seem to source it. Yes, I realize there is an electric panel there and it was all pre-existing when I moved in. If/when I replace softener setup, it will be relocated. Thanks for any positive comments....

Attachments

• 1703806366987496058457707063621.jpg
    1703806366987496058457707063621.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 17038064073904612409061085885887.jpg
    17038064073904612409061085885887.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 31

Bannerman

Reaction score
The label shown, does not specify the media installed, but only shows it is a 10" X 54" tank manufactured by the tank manufacturer 'Structural'.

The media contained, will be dependant on the water condition and the condition being treated. Suggest having the raw well water tested by a testing lab to identify the water's current condition and to determine which conditions are most likely to benefit from treatment.

Which unit is connected to the Brine tank (where salt is added)?
Which unit is 1st to receive untreated water directly from the well?

The long neck on the taller tank (10X54), seems to be equipped with a media fill port. As such, I suspect that unit will contain Calcite or a blend of Calcite + Corosex which is media that is utilized to neutralize an acidic water condition (low pH less than 7.0). Those medias will be consumed over time so a fill port will allow additional media to be easily added without requiring periodic removal of the control valve from the tank.

Morrelli

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have this old water softener setup. Not sure I want to replace it just yet. Can anyone tell me what the large tank is? I'm guessing it is to capture minerals from our well water supply. It's leaking and it's probably 20 years old so looking to replace just that tank for now. Water is being softened just fine, but from the looks of dried water spots on glasses, etc, I'm not sure if any minerals are being scrubbed. Pics of label on tank and control but I can't seem to source it. Yes, I realize there is an electric panel there and it was all pre-existing when I moved in. If/when I replace softener setup, it will be relocated. Thanks for any positive comments....
Additional photo of control
Hi Folks,

Additional pic of control
The label shown, does not specify the media installed, but only shows it is a 10" X 54" tank manufactured by the tank manufacturer 'Structural'.

The media contained, will be dependant on the water condition and the condition being treated. Suggest having the raw well water tested by a testing lab to identify the water's current condition and to determine which conditions are most likely to benefit from treatment.

Which unit is connected to the Brine tank (where salt is added)?
Which unit is 1st to receive untreated water directly from the well?

The long neck on the taller tank (10X54), seems to be equipped with a media fill port. As such, I suspect that unit will contain Calcite or a blend of Calcite + Corosex which is media that is utilized to neutralize an acidic water condition (low pH less than 7.0). Those medias will be consumed over time so a fill port will allow additional media to be easily added without requiring periodic removal of the control valve from the tank.
Thanks bannerman, the well water goes directly to blue filter, then the large tank, then on to the smaller tank which receives the brine. I guess I'll have to get a sample of the well water to determine what to fill the large tank with then. Being on a well that pumps 8.5gpm is the 6gpm noted on the label restricting flow?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks