LP to NG change-over

Users who are viewing this thread

tedn332

Reaction score
I have a Reliance 501 model 530 gas water heater in a mobile home that we moved from the country into town. It is set for LP and we need to switch it to Nat gas. Detailed directions for changing it over are listed on the side of the heater, but we cannot find the orifices that they refer to. We had heat/air guy over to change the gas range and furnace over but he said he wasn't allowed to change the water heater. When the heater was installed 8 years ago the installer changed it from Nat to LP but he is no longer around. Any suggestions appreciated. By the way, this heater is specifically designed for mobile homes. Thankyou, Ted

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There may have been some changes in the laws since your heater was built which preclude changing the gas type. I do not know this to be fact, but just something you may learn as you search for someone to make the change. In spite of the direction on the tank, this is not something a homeowner should take on. You can make a mistake plumbing water and just get wet. Make a mistake with gas and you get a very loud BOOM. One thing to consider. Your heater has only a few years at best left before it will have to be replaced. Maybe maybe you should look at replacing the heater now.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

The gas pressure regulator settings are different for LP and natural gas, and unless the heater was designed as a dual fuel model it is not adjustable. There are other items that preclude changing from natural gas to LP and if these were not addressed for the original conversion the heater may have been damaged by now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks