Lowering kitchen sink drain but king studs say no

Users who are viewing this thread

mr.zeros

Reaction score
Hi,

This is a fantastic forum, I have learned a lot over the years.

Today finds me remodeling my kitchen. It is more or less cleaned up at this moment. We are shopping for a new sink and I would like to get a 9 or 10" deep one. The garbage disposal (insinkerator evo premier), is going to have the outlet around 16-17 inches from the floor with the 10 inch sink.

Of course, this is a problem because the rough-in for the drain is 18" on-center (Terry puts it at 16" these days). I opened up the wall to see what was going on back there, and found two king studs in the way. One of them is three-wide, they are already braced around the existing cutout for the drain.

I need to move the drain lower, but the king studs present an obvious problem. Routing the drain in front of the wall would normally be okay, but the dishwasher is going to be there and I think a pipe behind it would cause an obstruction.

Routing the pipe out the back of this wall is not really an option, and probably not worth the effort to build out an entire wall.

Is there any solution I have missed? I'm just going to stick with a 7.5" sink if there is no easy way around this..

Thanks a bunch
IMG_20160315_213140196.jpg
IMG_20160315_213408028.jpg

Reaction score
It's just drywall, easy to cut, cheap to replace.

Do your best to cut straight on it, so when you replace it with a new piece of drywall, it'll drop right in on a simple measure of width and height. Wall screws and drywall compound does the rest.

The current braces can be left alone, and you can install more braces below. If you feel there is some real load bearing on it, you can use a piece of sheet metal that would fasten over the entire four braces over two studs.

That horizontal looks wet vented, so all you have to do is cut off the old rough and cap it just before the Wye, looks like something upstairs is feeding ino it.

You'll build the exact same horizontal wet vent just below it, into another Tee-Wye under that existing one on the right vertical.

You will have to decide if all this is worth it for the sink you want. This is not really a big problem, just might be more than your DIY skills.

mr.zeros

Reaction score
It's just drywall, easy to cut, cheap to replace.

Do your best to cut straight on it, so when you replace it with a new piece of drywall, it'll drop right in on a simple measure of width and height. Wall screws and drywall compound does the rest.

The current braces can be left alone, and you can install more braces below. If you feel there is some real load bearing on it, you can use a piece of sheet metal that would fasten over the entire four braces over two studs.

That horizontal looks wet vented, so all you have to do is cut off the old rough and cap it just before the Wye, looks like something upstairs is feeding ino it.

You'll build the exact same horizontal wet vent just below it, into another Tee-Wye under that existing one on the right vertical.

You will have to decide if all this is worth it for the sink you want. This is not really a big problem, just might be more than your DIY skills.

Thank you for the advice.

It may look that way, but I don't think that's a wet vent. Maybe I should describe the photo a little bit.
  • On the left side: the lower Wye leads to the sink drain.
  • The upper Wye leads to a clean out port (not sure if my terminology is correct), and nothing else
  • The wall through which this pipe runs is a pony wall/breakfast bar.
  • On the right side is the stack/vent, there is a column at this point, wher a new 10ft wall begins, which I believe is structural--Otherwise, I doubt the builder would have doubled and tripled the studs here and braced them. They were very cheap everywhere else.
I'd like to hear more about bracing options. Maybe a few headers or sistering the already doubled and tripled studs ? I'm not sure how sheet metal would be attached or strong enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks