Lowering Ceiling: How to Extend Ceiling Light Wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
The existing ceiling is 10'. We want to lower it to 8.5' and drywall it (not drop ceiling tiles).

The question is how do we extend the existing ceiling light wires down to the height of the new ceiling. Without running entirely new wire to the lowered lights, is there a way to do this?
I'm picturing a super deep box, but it would have to be 1.5' deep and I've never seen one of these.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Hidden junctions are not allowed so you would have to pull them back to where there is an accessible junction.

Molo

Reaction score
Hidden junctions are not allowed so you would have to pull them back to where there is an accessible junction.

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping there's another way because this would be tough.

Now I'm thinking a single drop ceiling panel within the drywall ceiling so the junction box could be reached.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping there's another way because this would be tough.

Now I'm thinking a single drop ceiling panel within the drywall ceiling so the junction box could be reached.
That would work.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Seriously? Stack a foot and a half worth of them? Not even a childs arm could fit inside that so no way that would pass as an accessible junction.

Midimagic

Reaction score
Ask a few questions:

- Does the power come in at the switch or at the ceiling fixture.
- Is this a three-way switch circuit?
- What kind of wiring is there?
- Can you install a box where the wires to the switch enter the new ceiling?

A few thoughts:

- Is the wiring knob and tube? If so, such work would be very hard to do and meet code. Modern wiring must come from an accessible box.
- Can you remove part of the old ceiling to expose the wiring in the ceiling. It won't show when the job is done.
- If so, can you then reroute the old wiring down to the new ceiling and install a junction box there to make up the necessary length?
- Can you finish a floor in the new ceiling and put in a hatch to access both the old junction box and storage space between the ceilings.
- Can the old box be turned over to become a floor box on the floor above?
- If the power is at the switch, can the wire to the light be intercepted just below the new ceiling with a box, and new wiring to the light?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks