Lower kitchen drain to line up for new p-trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by in need of help, Nov 13, 2013.

1. in need of help

in need of help New Member

I have attached photos:

I need to lower the drain so that i can install a normal p-trap for the kitchen sink plumbing. My house was built in 1958 and majority of the plumbing is original. What tools should i be using to cut this pipe and attach p-trap? I realize i will need to cut the cabinet walls that is encasing the drain, nit a problem. But i dont know what to purchase to attach the p-trap (which i still need to buy) to the drain. Also what do i need to do to the drain to lower it? Im in
    experienced but capable of learning and following instructions. Please any help that can be offered is appreciated.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

If it was me I would chase that old galvy back to the cast iron source and replace it all with PVC. You can cut what you have there with a metal blade in a sawzall but all the viberation will most likely cause leaks further down the line and I'd bet the old galvanized steel is pretty much rusted up.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That may give you the option of going with 2" up to the santee too.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That galvanized is going to be a lot tougher than Tom Sawyer thinks. What is that big cavity you are taking the pictures in, and if the pictures are sideways, what is the "checkerboard" material to the right of the tee, which should be between the tee and the floor?
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

I think the plaid picture is left-up. I think that is the other side of the right of the colorful picture. And I think that is being lit by a candle that is being held. So the plaid would be the floor of that space.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You should be able to cut the 1.5" pipe with a sawzall and install a new santee there using no-hub couplings.
  7. 6t7gto

6t7gto DIY Junior Member

I'm guessing the plaid covering is a shelf in the adjacent cabinet.
  8. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

All in a days work HJ. Its what I get the big bucks for LOL
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

some people say I get even bigger bucks.
  10. in need of help

in need of help New Member

Reach4 and 6t7gto are correct. I think i will pay a professional to replace the drain just incase tom sawyer is correct about the rusting. Thank u all for ur suggestions. Love this site!