Lower kitchen drain to line up for new p-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

in need of help

Reaction score
I have attached photos:

I need to lower the drain so that i can install a normal p-trap for the kitchen sink plumbing. My house was built in 1958 and majority of the plumbing is original. What tools should i be using to cut this pipe and attach p-trap? I realize i will need to cut the cabinet walls that is encasing the drain, nit a problem. But i dont know what to purchase to attach the p-trap (which i still need to buy) to the drain. Also what do i need to do to the drain to lower it? Im in
experienced but capable of learning and following instructions. Please any help that can be offered is appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20131106_171930.jpg
    20131106_171930.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 466
  • 20131106_171957.jpg
    20131106_171957.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 20131106_171926.jpg
    20131106_171926.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 432
  • 2013-10-22 17.17.31.jpg
    2013-10-22 17.17.31.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 523

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it was me I would chase that old galvy back to the cast iron source and replace it all with PVC. You can cut what you have there with a metal blade in a sawzall but all the viberation will most likely cause leaks further down the line and I'd bet the old galvanized steel is pretty much rusted up.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it was me I would chase that old galvy back to the cast iron source and replace it all with PVC. You can cut what you have there with a metal blade in a sawzall but all the viberation will most likely cause leaks further down the line and I'd bet the old galvanized steel is pretty much rusted up.

That may give you the option of going with 2" up to the santee too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That galvanized is going to be a lot tougher than Tom Sawyer thinks. What is that big cavity you are taking the pictures in, and if the pictures are sideways, what is the "checkerboard" material to the right of the tee, which should be between the tee and the floor?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the plaid picture is left-up. I think that is the other side of the right of the colorful picture. And I think that is being lit by a candle that is being held. So the plaid would be the floor of that space.

in need of help

Reaction score
Reach4 and 6t7gto are correct. I think i will pay a professional to replace the drain just incase tom sawyer is correct about the rusting. Thank u all for ur suggestions. Love this site!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks