Low water pressure problem in kitchen faucet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by LBrandt, Oct 10, 2010.

1. LBrandt

LBrandt New Member

Hello,

I have a Price-Pfister 2 handle kitchen faucet (model number 36 H86), and I'm getting very, very little pressure from both the hot and the cold sides. I know that there's no problem with city pressure, because I'm getting excellent pressure from every other faucet in the house. I also know that the input valves under the sink are fully open.

Isn't it most likely that the problem is in the center (is the correct word "mixer") under the spigot? And if so, what should I be looking to replace there?

And if it's only in the center, shouldn't I be able to do the repair without turning off the water supply as long as I leave the cold and hot valves closed?

Thanks,
    Louis
  2. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

It sounds like the aerater, take it off and run the water and clean if necessary.
  3. LBrandt

LBrandt New Member

I've already done that, and the pressure is no greater even when the aerator is off.

Thanks,
    Louis
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I don't know if Moen does, but some faucets use a metal screen filter in their hoses to try to keep crud from the cartridge. YOu might take the hoses off, check the flow out of the shutoffs, and check for a filter screen.
  5. LBrandt

LBrandt New Member

Jim,
    Thanks for the reply, but I installed the faucet myself a few years ago. I used hoses that I purchased from Home Depot. These were not Moen hoses. I think that if the problem were in the hoses, it would be unlikely that BOTH hoses were bad or filled with crud. My thinking is (and I'm not a plumber by any means) is that the problem is in the "center" where the hot and cold come together.

Thanks again,
    Louis
  6. plumbtired2

plumbtired2 New Member

On moen faucets . I noticed they don,t have as good pressure as some others do .
  7. LBrandt

LBrandt New Member

I DON'T have a Moen faucet. It's a Price-Pfister.
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Does it have a side spray?
    If so how is the flow out of that?
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Is the home 60's or older?
    Sometimes the short sections of galvanized pipes are blocked where it meets the brass shutoff.
    If you disconnect the supply lines to the faucet, you can determine if you have flow before the faucet.
  10. LBrandt

LBrandt New Member

No, the home was built in 1973. And to answer Redwood's question, I just checked the side spray, and I get good pressure from it. Interestingly, when I use the side sprayer, some water comes out of the center spout.

Thanks again,
    Louis
  11. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  12. LBrandt

LBrandt New Member

Thanks again Redwood. Your analysis sounds like the right one.
    Yes, I did type the model number in wrong. You're right, it's the H36.

Yes, I've ordered parts from Price-Pfister before. One more question: If the diverter is under the spout, I shouldn't have to turn the main water off to the faucets, should I? I mean, if I leave the hot and cold handles turned off, there won't be any water coming through when I remove the spout to get to the diverter, will there?

Thanks again,
    Louis
  13. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yep just leave the hot and cold handles off and you will be fine.
    The water that is in the gooseneck spout will leak out but that is all.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to order a new "O" Ring for the spout while you are getting parts as well.
  14. LBrandt

LBrandt New Member

Thanks again Redwood.

Louis
  15. Steve Miller

Steve Miller New Member

I have the same problem and ordered a replacement valve which was plastic but mine is brass. Will the plastic one work? It looks to be held on with a clip, but mine appears to have a collet of some sort holding it in place. I have seen that there are 2 different part numbers from Price Pfister but this is the one I received. I never use the sprayer anyway (it sticks open), can I bypass the valve completely and leave it off?
    Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  16. Steve Miller

Steve Miller New Member

Never mind, I just went and got a Moen today and put it in instead of fooling around with the Price, thanks anyway
  17. Price Pfister

Price Pfister Pfister Faucets

Quick Follow-up

Hi LBrandt,

We just wanted to chime in and see if you're still having problems with your Price Pfister faucet. If you need further assistance, please contact us at pfistersocial@bdhhi.com.

Hi Redwood,

Thanks for helping out LBrandt with this issue. We really appreciate it.

Best Regards,

The Price Pfister Team