Low water pressure at one shower but not the other

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
The shower closest the incoming water from the well has good pressure. The shower in the master bath on the opposite side of the house is very low. It works, but I'd really like to have better pressure, particularly since it's the master bath. Both showers have the same fixtures. I replaced the showerhead in the master as I wanted to do that anyway. Both the old and new shower heads produce much less pressure than the opposite side of the house which has the same shower head. Are there sometimes pressure adjustments on the valves? Also note that the laundry room is on the opposite side of the wall from the master bath and the laundry sink faucet seems to get very good pressure. A faucet photo is attached. It is a Delta. The reason I'm posting the photo is to ask how to take this one apart so that I can lube it and check the valve for model and flow controls. The round piece on the outside that you turn to point to the red or blue markings to control temp is hard to turn and sort of wobbly. I'm sure this temp control is not supposed to be so hard to turn, so I'm assuming I can put some plumbers lube somewhere in there to free it up. How does this thing come apart? Is the temp control a press fit and just needs to be pulled off?
I also noted that for the first time in years, my logon ID says "New Member". It had said "Senior Member" in the past as I've been a member for many years. Wondering why that is.

P1010412.JPG

Presence

Reaction score
Take it apart... sometimes there are little government lackey flow control limiters in there that get clogged up with the first pass of sediment. I've never opened one of those particular faucets. The same can be true of the shower head you choose. Look in there and see if its choking down your flow. If you find a limiter in there chuck it in the weeds.

Also, how long does it take to fill up a gallon at the tub spout? Generally, if it takes more than 35 seconds the issue is in your valve. If it takes less, the issue is in your head.

I'm pretty die hard these days about recommending American Standard valves; some of them come with limiters that need to be removed, but all in all I never get a call back on a A.S. valve leaking.

Very unlikely that the distance from your well has anything to do with it. That becomes an issue when there is 100' or more of 1/2" line (or a bunch of elbows) AND you have other things running that are closer to the well tank. Or... if your pipe is OLD galvanized steel.

Last edited:

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Take it apart... sometimes there are little government lackey flow control limiters in there that get clogged up with the first pass of sediment. I've never opened one of those particular faucets. The same can be true of the shower head you choose. Look in there and see if its choking down your flow. If you find a limiter in there chuck it in the weeds.

Also, how long does it take to fill up a gallon at the tub spout? Generally, if it takes more than 35 seconds the issue is in your valve. If it takes less, the issue is in your head.

I'm pretty die hard these days about recommending American Standard valves; some of them come with limiters that need to be removed, but all in all I never get a call back on a A.S. valve leaking.

Very unlikely that the distance from your well has anything to do with it. That becomes an issue when there is 100' or more of 1/2" line (or a bunch of elbows) AND you have other things running that are closer to the well tank. Or... if your pipe is OLD galvanized steel.

As I mentioned, the shower head was replaced and is the same one as the shower that has good pressure. I threw out the flow control rubber piece on both of those, so both showers should work the same. It would not be a matter of blockage there.

I guess I'll make my best guess at taking this one apart or I might actually send the photo to Delta and ask them before I destroy something. Thanks for your input. I'll post something when I find out what the valve looks like.
I'm not sure why I didn't get notified that you updated this thread. I have "Watch this thread" checkmarked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks