Low water pressure after changing pressure switch.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cbr1grand, May 22, 2011.

1. cbr1grand

cbr1grand New Member

My pressure switch went bad on my well pump. I replaced switch with a 40/60 switch which is what it had before. I set pressure in bladder tank to 38 p.s.i. The pump now cycles fine but my water pressure is no where near as good as it was before I replaced switch. When I replaced switch I drained all air and water from system. I have a submersible pump thats only a few years old. :confused:
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Just because the old switch had a factory preset of 40/60 does not mean that was the pressure setting. It may have been adjusted upward. If the pressure gauge is reading correctly, it should show what pressure you actually have. Did you compare the air pressure on the bladder to what the water pressure gauge shows?

Could it be that you are experiencing a flow restriction issue and not a pressure issue? When a system is drained and refilled, the surge of flow at refill can dislodge particulate that then clogs up control valves, aerators, and shower heads. This then reduces flow which could be perceived as poor pressure.