Low profile p-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey_sl

Reaction score
Hi All
There have been previous discussions on the installation of a basement shower using a macerating system.

A common issue has been the elevation/slope of the shower to drain into the system and the resulting need to raise the shower base accordingly (6-8 inches to accommodate a p-trap)

The homeowner (like me) ends up with choices that are:

Break the concrete slab and drain it correctly $$$$

violate the code for either the p-trap or the min height from shower base to ceiling (6'-8") in most places due to a lack of overall headroom. Additionally, a shower that is only 6' in height will be awkward.

I discovered this shower drain that is European and is low profile.

It comes in two versions - membrane seal (not recommended in MANY forums) and a water seal.

Looking at the spec sheet/diagram it appears it uses a p-trap type of construction with a ring of water that gets displaced but maintains the "water seal" functionality of a standard NA p-trap.

My questions:

1- is the volume of water maintained as a part of the seal a significant contributor to the effectiveness of the water seal ?

2- How much grief will I end up with trying to mate the fittings?

All advice is appreciated.

link to catalogue and installation

page 97 water seal version of the slim shower trap

wirquin-shower-drain.jpg

http://www.wirquin.co.uk/CATALOGUE_WASTES.pdf

install instructions

http://www.wirquin.co.uk/WASTES/Instructions_leaflet_Slim.pdf

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The only approved side outlet drain I know of is made by Quick Drain USA. Proline.

I have only installed one of these in the past five years.

Turned out all right.

modern-bathroom.jpg

The drain was too short for the shower so I went a little cowboy and designed the shower base to accommodate a custom drain top install.

ACO makes one as well special order - but I have never held one or installed one as yet.....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF I interpret the drawing correctly, it is a version of a "bell trap" and they have been illegal since before I was born. If there is a problem with the "P" trap, make an opening in the floor for it to fit into. In other words "Lower the river, don't raise the bridge".

Marty_B

Reaction score
IF I interpret the drawing correctly, it is a version of a "bell trap" and they have been illegal since before I was born. If there is a problem with the "P" trap, make an opening in the floor for it to fit into. In other words "Lower the river, don't raise the bridge".
Good day, I have the same issue as Mikey from above and I would like to lower the river. My question is would I have to fill in the hole with cement once I install the p-trap in the hole? If I don't, would water possibly come out? My basement floor is not humid so I don't know if water coming out would be an issue. Thank you for your advice. Martin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks