Low pressure/flow rate in shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

catweazle2014

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I just had my bathroom re-tiled and all the valves + faucets replaced (they were really old).

The water pressure in the shower stall wasn't great to begin with, but now with the new valve + faucet, it's too low to shower comfortably :(

What could I do to improve the pressure?

The water pressure in my _other_ bathroom is really good. In the re-tiled bathroom, there is a bathtub and shower stall. The bathtub showerhead gets 50% of the 'good' pressure, the shower stall showerhead gets only 25%. There's no difference between the hot & cold pressures anywhere.

Any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all showerheads are created equal. First thing I'd try is swapping showerheads to see if that makes a difference. Other than that, it's possible that there's some crud in the new lines. some valves have inlet filter screens, and those could be partially plugged. same thing with the showerhead itself, there could be some crud in it.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Sounds like the shower valve was just hooked up. When plumbers are lazy they do not read any instructions. If you check the manual for your fixture it will say something like (remove cartridge and flush water lines before use).

Phone the manufacture of the shower fixture - tell them yours is ****ed. They will most likely send a new one to you no questions asked.

This common mistake is something I can not stand from plumbers. Many of the plumbers who skip this step then charge their clients for the repair. I have even seen plumbers charge for new cartridges. These plumbers are the crooks and hacks of the business. It took me years to find the pros.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; . I have even seen plumbers charge for new cartridges. These plumbers are the crooks and hacks of the business.

WE do NOT furnish a warranty replacement. IF they do not want to pay for the part, then THEY have to contact the manufacturer and it will be sent to them sometime in the next two weeks. Then WE will install it, but unless it was caused by something we did, we WILL charge for the installation. We are not "altruistic". And I resent the "crooks and hacks" statement/label.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks