Low pressure and flow all of a sudden?

Users who are viewing this thread

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a 1 HP submersible pump, 40/50 pressure switch and 80 gal bladder tank precharged to 43 PSI. The tank and switch were replaced about 8 months ago. Everything has been working like a champ since then. However, yesterday I noticed a sudden drop in water pressure throughout the house. I did a little trouble shooting and here are the indications:

- Pressure at the tank with no demand on the system is a constant 36 PSI
- If I place a heavy demand on the system (sprinklers), the pressure drops to a constant 20 PSI and then drops proportionately each time I open another faucet.
- If I turn the pump off at the CB panel, pressure instantly drops to zero, if there's an open faucet, water flow instantly stops, and I can hear water running out of the water heater etc. The water softner (nearby) makes sounds like it's going to implode.

If there's anybody out there that can help me pin point the problem or can offer any advice, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Doug

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
With 0 psi you should have no water flow.

The water in the well has fallen to the point where the pump is sucking air or can't move and water.

Your air pressure, 43 lbs, in the pressure tank (with no water in the tank) is not set correctly for the cutin of 40 psi (39-38 with no water in the tank), and the differential (40 to 50) should be 20 lbs; 40/60. That 40/50 will make the pump come on too quick and too frequent which burns up motors and spins electric meters. That's unless you have a CSV.

So get the the air pressure and switch set correctly and then...

It sounds as if you have a water leak, probably in the well, otherwise you wouldn't be thinking the softener is going to implode etc..

But it could be anywhere between the pressure tank and the pump inlet in the well. You can test that by shutting off the water past the pressure tank and watching the gauge for 15 minutes to see if it holds. If not, you have a leak on the well side. Possibly the check valve but that doesn't cause low flow when the pump is running. If it holds, you may have a leak on the house side.

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I adjusted the precharge pressure to 38 PSI. It was set at 38 when I installed the tank in December. I guess the 105 degree heat here in Oklahoma may account for the extra pressure. I miss spoke on the pressure switch...it is a 40/60 PSI switch. So, I now have the precharge and pressure switch straightened out and here's what I've got:

- With no load on the system, the pump runs continuously and the system pressure is steady at 34 PSI.

- With a load on the system, the pressure drops proportionally to the number of faucets I have open.

- If I turn off the pump, system pressure instantly drops to zero and flow instantly drops to zero.

It's been crazy hot and dry here for the past couple weeks...do you think there's just not enough water in the well or should I still be worried about a leak. I originally thought check valve but I guess if that were the case, pressure would keep cycling between 40 and 60 PSI but I'd still have good flow and pressure with a load on the system.

Thanks,
Doug

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Additionally, I just went out to the hydrant located at the well. If I open the hydrant, I get a lot of air along with the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks