Low ph and high iron treatment

Users who are viewing this thread

Iron Ranger

Reaction score
I am in need of a complete water treatment system and need some advice.

Iron:9
Hardness:9
Ph:6.2
Maganese:0.1
Gpm:10.4

The current system i am using now is just a culligan softner and the water test after softner shows iron at 0.4 and ph at 5.5. The water stains the bathtub and toilets.

To deal with the ph i was considering an acid neutralizer.

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/acid-neutralizer.html#item=NF004880&tab=tab1

The iron and manganese:
Pro-ox iron filter 5900e air 1.5 cf.
http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/FE011910.html#tab=tab1

And finally a softener: softener 5900e 48k.
http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/WS005640.html#tab=tab1

Does anyone have and experience with this company or products and does this sound like a viable option to fix my water?

_John_

Reaction score
at 10.4 gpm (assuming that's your well production and not your filter requirements) you're pushing your limit if that pro-ox filter is Mangox/filox (seems likely with the "daily" backwash). With Katalox Light you could bump the backwash requirement down to 7 gpm (and that's a little above manufacturer specs) on a 1.5 cu. ft system and reduce the backwash to every 2-3 days (can be less for less problem water than yours) . The actual filtering function will be pretty much the same for you though.

Otherwise, sound system setup, though I'd prefer a little (roughly 20%) Corosex (magnesium oxide) in that neutralizer setup as you say your pH can get to 5.5 out of your softener. You many not always get water above 7 with just calcite there (though you should be above 6.5 in most all uses and at least better). The company has the option for the "blend" that I mention, and that's personally what I'd go with.

Iron Ranger

Reaction score
The design is fairly sound, I would lean toward original Fleck or Clack valves personally.
The design is fairly sound, I would lean toward original Fleck or Clack valves personally.

The 20% corosex in the ph filter sounds like a good idea. I had the same thought about the control valve to, but which fleck valve would be the best. I would like to have the same valve on all three tanks. if i had 3 of the same fleck valves can they be programmed to do the job of 3 different filters, since the iron filter is an air charge type.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The neutralizer is a great idea, but I would hold back on the iron filter for awhile. Years have shown that a neutralizer often will remove some iron as the waters ph is raised, now how much iron is a bit different but there will be iron that is removed. Backwashing the neut. either every 2 or 3 days is best.
Katalox light is a great idea but keep in mind that there is a flow rate of 3gpm per cubic foot, so too little media and brake through and high pressure drop.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The recommended flow rate of Katalox Light is 3 gpm, but internal testing shows that in many conditions we can exceed 6 gpm and still maintain effectiveness (pH, orp, water temperatue...) Flow restriction has not been an issue yet. We can put 15+ gpm through it per CF, but it's effectiveness is greatly diminished of course. It is Clinoptilolite (Micro-Z, Nextsand, Filter-Ag+, Turbidex etc. as the base, these medias are able to flow impressively without restriction.

Like Akpsvdan said, the neutralizer can make a very effective iron reduction system. Considering the high level of iron, I would lean toward the Neutralizer and Katalox light system, but if budget were the issue, then taking the Katalox light system out and leaving enough room to add it later if needed could be a good option.

A 10x54 Calcite Neutralizing system has a recommended flow rate of only 3 GPM, at higher flow rates it's effectiveness also diminishes. The redundant system should pose no problem but will give more consistent iron reduction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks