Low PH 6.1 well water CPVC cement joints

Users who are viewing this thread

Edward1

Reaction score
My homes is 25 years old and all my water pipes are CPVC. We have well water with a PH of 6.1. I was told I need a acid neutralizer which I understand will raise the PH level. Most of the plumbing fixtures are original and still working fine. Also most of our appliances are 10 years old and still going. I've been told that the acidic water will eat away at the CPVC cement joints and they will fail. (Is this true?) Not sure if putting in a acid neutralizer is worth the money and maintenance. I'm mostly worried about the joints failing not so much the fixture/appliances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Can CPVC cement handle a PH of 6.1 for much more then 25 years? (looks like the builder used an orange cement on the joints)

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That must be a joke.

Sounds like it to me.

A PH of 6.1 will not harm CPVC.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The CPVC is 25 years old, and you are only considering an acid neutralizer now? Forget it. If you haven't had a problem by now it is unlikely you will ever have one, at least not one due to the water's ph. Neutral ph is about 7.0 so you are so close it would not require anything.

Last edited:

Edward1

Reaction score
The CPVC is 25 years old, and you are only considering an acid neutralizer now? Forget it. If you haven't had a problem by now it is unlikely you will ever have one, at least not one due to the water's ph. Neutral ph is about 7.0 so you are so close it would not require anything.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I had one of those big name water purification companies come over and try to sell me a system. He was the one that told me with a low PH of 6.1 the water will eat the cement out of the joints over time. If what he said was true, I figured better late then never.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I had one of those big name water purification companies come

The only way they can pay for the big Yellow Page ads, TV commercials, and fancy trucks is to sell you "something" even if you do not need it.

SAS

Reaction score
With a pH of 6.0 the water in my house tasted metallic and a water test showed elevated lead levels - just below the EPA limit. I had a local contractor install an acid neutralizer and the water not only tastes much better, the re-test (done by an independent lab) showed lead now as "non-detectable". Even if your plumbing is CPVC, your fixtures may leach lead into the water at a pH of 6.1. I would worry less about the CPVC cement and more about lead levels in your water. Lead accumulates in the body, so even low levels are harmful over time.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If it was up to the EPA you would not be allowed to have private water-wells.

O, Unless you pay the Tax and Fees.

All of the lead went to my ass over the years.

Have Fun Everyone.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the pH of acid rain that creates caves in limestone is approximately 6. Course, it takes many, many years to do it, but the point is, acidic water can dissolve the calcium, and is a major component of the cement in mortar. Should you worry about it? Probably not, will it leach metals out of things (the pipes, the fixtures, and etch things like the toilet and the glaze on sinks), yes. HOw much of an effect, and how long it takes will depend on how much water is run over it, and if standing (like in a toilet), how old it is. In the long-term, it will make a toilet harder to clean since the surface that is covered by water will become less smooth, and things will stick more.

The taste can improve if you neutralize it, your health probably won't change.

Edward1

Reaction score
Good point about the lead. Our water does taste a little metallic, I will test for it to make sure its safe.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
When he gets done solving your low pH, he will sell you on a softner to remove the dissolved calcium that is used to neutralize the acid in the water. Now he has another system to service on a regular basis.

Edward1

Reaction score
When he gets done solving your low pH, he will sell you on a softner to remove the dissolved calcium that is used to neutralize the acid in the water. Now he has another system to service on a regular basis.

If I do decide to go with a acid neutralizer, do you think I could get away without a softener? My water hardness tested 66mg/l. Currently, I only have a 5 micron sediment filter on my system. I like keeping it simple but am considering installing a neutralizer. The water is definitely leaching something out of the fixtures a light green stain on the tub.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Neutralizing does increase the hardness of your water...lots of people live with hard water. Try to get the pH closer to 7 (neutral), then get your water tested again, and decide see for yourself.

There is no federally enforceable standard (i.e., Maximum Contaminant Level) for pH in drinking water. EPA set a Secondary Maximum Contaminant Level (SMCL) or recommended range for pH in drinking water of 6.5 to 8.5. SMCLs are developed to protect the aesthetic quality of water, such as taste, odor, color, and appearance.

So, you are not far outside of the recommended range, and might be able to get by with minimal neutralizing, which means not adding all that much hardness...

Last edited:

Edward1

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, it was a big help to hear different points of views. I will put this information to good use and hopefully make the right decision.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks