Low Hot water pressure only in shower & tub

Users who are viewing this thread

mnhspence

Reaction score
Hi! I've got an unusual (to me) problem. 8 year old house - schneider construction. As of 3 days ago only the HOT water has low pressure and it is ONLY in the shower head and tub faucet. There is a single moen style round hot/cold handle that I replaced a couple years ago. The shower is upstairs (2 story house) and the pressure is fine in the faucets. I'm pretty sure it is not the shower head etc as the faucet in the tub is just as bad.

I read in forums about draining the water heater -This had never been done. I drained the water heater (gas) and then drained it again. On the second time I also turned the cold water inlet on so it just gushed through the hose. I saw some really small calcium(?) deposits. One other odd clue, the house is in a development and the next door neighobor just bought there house. That house had been vacent for a year. This all started about a week after they moved in. My wife called and the auburn water people came out and said that the water pressure was 5.4 (?) and fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
5.4 might be Bar, 1 Bar is 14.5 psi, so about 78.3 psi, which is more than adequate.

The shower valve probably has a pressure balance spool and may contain a debris screen filter on the input. The screen could be clogged, or the pressure balance spool might be stuck.

mnhspence

Reaction score
Since I have low water pressure on the shower head and the shower faucet could it be debris?

If so, where would I locate the screen or pressure balance spool? I replaced the shower head a couple years ago. There is a pipe coming out of the wall at the top of the shower that the shower head is attached to. The faucet comes out lower. I checked by the way and the pressure was 54 and the street hydrant was 57 according to them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your post said 5.4...

Depends on the fixture...but both of those are within or on the input to the valve. On some, the pressure balace spool is fairly easily replaced. You'd need to post a picture or have the model number to look up the parts layout.

mnhspence

Reaction score
Thanks - I meant that I posted the pressure wrong :). I think you are on the right track (based on my 15 minutes of experiance <grin>). It's a moen faucet, round and single for hot / cold. I took it all apart and can't get the cartridge out. I checked moens website and they said that it requires a cartridge removal tool. I'm going to put it back together and try with the tool tomorrow. Thanks and if you have any other suggestions, I'm willing to try them.

mnhspence

Reaction score
Well I couldn't wait so I took the faucet apart again and bought 2 different cartridge replacement kits. They both have the small cartridge removal tool but it won't fit down the stem. I saw that they sell stem extensions so I wonder if there is one on it. currently there is a stem and a rectangular white plastic piece that is attached to that. Also there is a round brass piece that the retaining clip goes into. Anyone have any ideas on how to take this out?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How does your valve turn on and adjust temperature?

1 pull out for on, and rotate to adjust

or,

2 rotate to turn on and adjust

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks