Low hot water pressur throughout the house

Users who are viewing this thread

movierob

Reaction score
I have been experiencing low hot water pressure in the three faucets that i have throughout the house. Cold water works great. I suspect that it could be scale buildup in the coils of our hot water boiler. I had the bathroom redone 2 years ago and the pressure in both the sink and tub was great up until about 2 monts ago the kitchen sink never got better during that time. I even had the boiler company come out and descale the boiler with some kind of acid wash that took the tech about 3.5 hrs to finally get the stuff to actually get through the coils. The other thing that happens that makes me wonder if it is something other than scale or sediment is when i have the hot water faucet turned all the way on and the hot water is dribbling out i turn the hot water faucet on the sink all the way on nothing comes out but some air kind of sounds then i turn the cold water faucet on the sink on and the faucet in the tub starts coming out fast but after about 3-4 seconds its not hot water but all cold coming out the tub faucet. Could this indicate something other than the coils being clogged or no. I am thinking abut eventually just getting an electric hot water heater and just bypassing the boiler all together for hot water. I also installed an Eddy Water Descaler a bout a month ago in the hopes that this would "unclog" the scale in the boiler. Before you get on me about the Snake Oil product that it is; it comes with a FULL 100% money back guarantee if returned in less that 1 year so it wont cost me anything but my time. Thanks in advance for your time!!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Please use their money back guarantee. It surprises me that people still buy these. One of my largest customers is a manufacturer that makes a similar design, and even their engineering department laughs at their own product knowing it is snake oil. They figure if only 20% of them get returned, their profit margin is so high... LOL.

And no, I will not disclose who it is for obvious reasons.

Sounds like you are totally fouled up. Water changes, I have seen tempering waste systems run for years without scaling, then over the course of a week, the 3" pipe turns into a completely clogged mess requiring weekly boreing. Then suddenly, the scale stops occurring. All this with no change in hardness. Other factors come into play re: scale. pH, other elements, temperatures, etc.

It is difficult to follow your cold water/hot water symptoms, but... water does not care which direction it flows in a pipe, it is only looking for the lowest pressure. if you have a tempering shower valve, that is a direct hot/cold connection point. I have a restaurant style pre-scrapper in my garage. Without check valves, the water in the house is difficult to regulate. Hot and cold water get mixed up fairly easily.

Time to get a real water test, and post it for us so we can recommend some proper water treatment.

movierob

Reaction score
I am having the coil cleaned tomorrow to see if that helps too. One other thought could it have anything to do with the pressure reducing valves (http://inspectapedia.com/heat/Water_Feeder_Valves.htm) either being fouled up (if possible) or not being set to the right pressure?? Don't know if there is a standard setting per boiler or if this can be adjusted (for example if you have a 3 story house) and need more pressure to get to one of the higher floors. Just a thought. I will post water test results when I get them. Thanks again for your input!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks