Low flush toilets causing sewage pipe clogs???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mrgooch, Oct 27, 2013.

1. mrgooch

mrgooch New Member

It is my belief that using toilets with a low volume of water to flush waste would or could eventually cause a blockage in the sewer pipe. Wouldn't waste and paper tend to collect without a volume of water to move it?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

At my mom's home, her sewer line is 250 feet 4" clay pipe.
    She has two 1.6 bowls and one 3.5
    The 3.5 has much slower drainline carry than the 1.6 bowls.
    That line has been there since 1962 and the only time we snaked it was when paper caught on a gas line that had been drilled through the clay pipe.
    We cut the pipe with the cutters on the snake and had the gas company out to relocate the gas line. It's been fine ever since.

Warning: Cutting a gas line inside a sewer line can have serious problems.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

That could be spectacular. That's got to make its way into the storyline for a movie.
  4. mrgooch

mrgooch New Member

Hello Terry
    Have you ever heard of this concern before?
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I hear about the worry, but then I've installed thousands of 1.6 and 1.28 gallon toilets without issues.

I've also heard about old homes with old lines and old toilets that need snaking every other year because of roots and cracked lines. More water doesn't help with roots. It just makes more of a mess when it backs up.

Here is a video of a 1.1 gallon flush

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014