Low-end water softener recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

stitch

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a whole house water softener. What are some recommendations for some I can buy online or at Home Depot/Lowes?
I'm not ready to spend 2-5K on a higher end model like Kinetico, Culligan, etc.
I've read some reviews, but I figured I'd come here and ask some experts :)

JKERN

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief your low end units such as the ones you get at home depot and lowes will cost you more in the long run than a good unit. Being in the business for some time i have gone on service calls where the people bought a big box store brand and it was bad right out of the box. Also cullligan and kinetico are not high end softeners they may be expensive but that does not mean quality. your best bet is for one of the big three Fleck Clack or Autotrol they are the industry standard you can readily purchase parts and are easy for diy'ers. They come under a miriad of names but these are the ones you should look for.

stitch

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the info! I'd never even heard of those brands before. I'll start researching those immediately!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
They are brand names of the control valve. It is the heart and brains of a softener. They are industry standard nonproprietary and very common so there are many online and local dealers to get parts from except for Clack which refuses to allow the sale of their valves online although they did allow it for 10 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks