Low cold water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

greg stine

Reaction score
I have lived in this house for about 10 yrs now, when I first bought the house the back yard hose bib has low water prssure, front and garage hose bib are fine. 3 yrs ago I installed a water softener from Home Depot. Ok, 2 yrs ago I have noticed low cold water pressure now at kitchen sink and washing machine which are in the same area as the house bib, back of the house. Water pressure is fine rest of the house. I go under the house and find the 3/4 main which reduces to 1/2 "T" off to to my my bathroom and "T" off again to the kitchen sink, washing machine and hose bib. So basically 3/4 straight shot reduces to 1/2, t's off, t's off again and straight shot 1/2 to my other bathroom which are fine. Could the valves be bad???

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it happened slowly over a long period of time it could be something like calcium building up in the waterline reducing the flow. If it happened this week a section of water line might be frozen. If the other fixtures are connected to a 3/4 inch water line and some are connected to a 1/2 inch water line with a lot of bends and tees that might be why the flow is reduced. Maybe a pipe got crimped? Some times roots will squeeze a poly pipe to a yard faucet and reduce flow. There could be a clogged filter, screen or aerator on some faucets.

greg stine

Reaction score
If it happened slowly over a long period of time it could be something like calcium building up in the waterline reducing the flow. If it happened this week a section of water line might be frozen. If the other fixtures are connected to a 3/4 inch water line and some are connected to a 1/2 inch water line with a lot of bends and tees that might be why the flow is reduced. Maybe a pipe got crimped? Some times roots will squeeze a poly pipe to a yard faucet and reduce flow. There could be a clogged filter, screen or aerator on some faucets.[/QUOTE

In the kitchen was the worse, installed new shut off valve which the old one seals crumbed up on the old one and clogged the supply line and valve stem, cleaned all that out and the pressure did get better but still low like its' always been since i bought the house. I did notice a bunch of 90's on the 1/2 coming off of the 3/4, like a maze......wouldn't a plumbing inspector catch that?

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you tried testing at the connection faucet for the washer? Washers inputs have filters that can clog and slow flow.

greg stine

Reaction score
Have you tried testing at the connection faucet for the washer? Washers inputs have filters that can clog and slow flow.
Yes, disconnected the supply line from the washer into a bucket, and also checked the mesh filter on the washer which wasn't that bad, if I can guess how low compared to hot, hot would be a full pipe width and cold would be 5/8 almost 3/4 pipe width coming out. I have been dealing with this for 10 yrs now and my wife wants a new washer but isn't satisfied with the low cold water pressure, wants it fixed asap and I don't blame her, I would like to use my hose bib on the back side of the house also.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Diagnosis would start with taking a good look at layout of the water lines and determining where the problem is most likely to originate from. From there you can remove valves or cut lines if needed to test flow and work your way back to the cause.

greg stine

Reaction score
UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!!!!! I HAD PLUMBERS OVER TO THE HOUSE AND THEY WERE STUMPED, THEY WENT OVER EVERYTHING, LINES RAN RIGHT, NO DEBRIS IN LINES ETC..... HE SAID ONLY THING COULD CAUSE LOW FLOW RATE IS SHITTY CRAFTSMANSHIP, THE 1/2 "Tee" OFF THE 3/4 WAS PUSHED TO FAR RESTRICTING WATER FLOW, THESE "TEE'S HAD NO STOPS SO IT ALLOWED THE 1/2" PIPE TO GO THROUGH THE "TEE". THANKS GUYS FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
THE 1/2 "Tee" OFF THE 3/4 WAS PUSHED TO FAR RESTRICTING WATER FLOW, THESE "TEE'S HAD NO STOPS SO IT ALLOWED THE 1/2" PIPE TO GO THROUGH THE "TEE".

Tricky! Thanks for the report.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks