Low Cold Water Pressure

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mikemann, Dec 10, 2006.

1. mikemann

mikemann New Member

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and hope to learn alot.

I just bought a renovated rowhouse in Washington DC. It's new from top to bottom. The tub upstairs seems to be having a minor proble,. At least i'm hoping it's minor. The hot water pressure is fine, the pressure for the hot and cold water in the sink is fine the toilet pressure is fine. The cold water in the tub trickles out.

Please let me know if my assumption is correct. There is not an access panel to the plumbing for the tub handles so I will need to cut a square in the wall and create an access panel. I think all i need to do is turn a valave. I think they may not have turned it before closing everything. Does that sound correct or is there more to it than that.

Your expert advice will be appreciated.

thanks
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

If you want to make an access panel, the best way is to use a dremel or rotozip and use either a drywall or a general purpose cutout bit. You should set the cutting depth to slightly greater than the thickness of the drywall or wood you are cutting out.

If there's no shutoff valves behind there, you'll have to shut off the water to the whole building. Then you can remove the valve stem and check for debris blocking the flow.
  3. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Sounds like a possible clogged valve. Turn water off to your house. Remove handle, remove the valve stem, let the water run out and look at it very carefully. If there was trash or junk in the water that came out then your problem may already be solved. (Put it all back together). If nothing comes out then slowly open the valve to the house to flush the valve (be careful as water can shoot out the valve and get all over the bathroom). Either be prepared to clean up the mess or just turn it on enough to let it run very slowly....or have a couple handheld radios with someone at the tub telling you how things are going there. Could have clogged line to tub that needs cleaning out with whatever you can work down thru it. If it has a valve hidden in the wall behind the tub then it will have something that I very rarely see. If you have a single handle shower/tub mixer then you may have to remove the trim around the valve/handle to see if there are control/shut-off valves on either side of the valve. This is usually turned with a screwdriver and may need to be opened.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006