Low Cold Water Pressure in Entire House

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeBurns

Reaction score
I returned from working out of town for about five weeks. First day, I had tons of water pressure, both cold and hot. I now have about one fifth or less as much cold water. Hot is unchanged and fine. All cold water fixtures in the house are affected.

I have a well. Submersible pump, pressure switch, check valves, and shut-off valves are one year old. I drained the bottom of the pressure tank and water heater to see if there was sediment. Checked tank for air pressure. I am showing plenty of pressure on the tank gage. Also cleaned all the aerators and dishwasher/washer/icemaker screens. Ran all taps, both hot and cold and cycled all shutoff valves several times in case they were clogged. There are no filters or water-conditioning equipment in the system. Still only minimal cold water and plenty of hot. Cold pressure is low even if hot is not in use. Cold water goes from pump to pressure tank. Shutoff valve after tank. Then there is a T that splits between the water heater and the cold water feed. There is a shutoff into and out of the heater. I closed both to isolate the heater - still wimpy cold water. I am stumped!

Any suggestions.

MikeBurns

Reaction score
More info

Just attached a garden hose to the pressure tank fitting. Tons of pressure there.

Reach4

Reaction score
After the hot/cold tee, what is the next tee in the cold line? What does that tee supply?

I suggest that you get a pressure gauge with a garden hose connector. You can screw this to an outside faucet, a laundry tub, or a washing machine supply tap. This can help troubleshoot this. The gauge should cost under $15 usually.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I doubt that there problem is low pressure, but it is low volume. You have a valve with broken internals or a foreign object caught in a fitting.

MikeBurns

Reaction score
After the hot/cold tee, what is the next fitting in the cold line is a ball valve that shuts off all the cold water in the house. All the valves seem to work smoothly. Piping is copper. There was crud at the toilet supply hoses but no where else. I suspect that is because they were not cleaned when the new well pump was installed last year. Hidden crud that came loose when I turned the water back on after being away and lodged somewhere that I cannot see may be the culprit.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the next tee after the cold line ball valve, and what fixture does it serve?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks