Low clearance recessed lights...

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by locus123, Feb 12, 2013.

1. locus123

locus123 New Member

I have low hanging ductwork that is framed in with 1" of clearance (they used metal RC strapping). It's against a wall in an area that needs some lighting. Does such a solution exist where recessed lights are less than 1.5" (0.5" for drywall) deep?

Originally I planned on using LED lights, but all that is nearby is the light switch box (drywall up the walls, ceiling, etc). I have nowhere to put a transformer, unless I'm allowed to slip it up with the lights, and that assumes it's 1" thick.

Thoughts?
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Table lamp?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

bulbs and reflectors are more that 1" deep. You are trying to do the impossible.
  4. locus123

locus123 New Member

Ya, that's what I thought. I was hoping there was a sneaky way to make LED work up there. I know there are some less than 1" deep, but I'm still in trouble with the transformer cause I have nowhere to hide it.

OK, no worries, thanks.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF you found an LED that fit in the 1 1/2" space, I hope you would not need much light there, or had room for a LOT of the lights.
  6. I think LED's are the solution. I fixed one in my room and the illumination was perfect. Though it takes a lot of trial and error to find the perfect setting.