Loud vibration sound

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ljp852, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ljp852

ljp852 New Member

Over the last month or two we have developed a loud vibration type sound that I finally was able to trace to where the water service comes into the house in the basement. I checked to be sure that the valve was turned all the way on but that didn't help. It seems to only occur when there is a water draw in the house like a shower running or the washer is on. What could be causing this and what would need to be done to correct it? Is there potential for something serious to happen like a pipe joint giving way or anything like that? Trying to figure out what I'm getting into by calling a plumber out-funds are a bit tight right now so I don't want to get hit with a huge bill that I don't have to have right now. (Although the sound really gets on our nerves sometimes so I may have to bite the bullet anyway) thanks
  2. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

It is your cold water pressure regulator,

you need to have a new one installed,
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

have you got one of these on your incoming water line...
    Usually near the meter...

[​IMG]
  4. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Its funny to see all these Pressure regulator valves. Its very rare for the water pressure out in the Burbs of Chicago to get over 65 psi. Chicago, you be lucky to see anything over 35 psi in most areas. So these PRV's are strange to me on the main supply.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Go to where there are hills and the houses on the top of the hill need water.
    I have seen pressure over 120 many times.
  6. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

LOL have you seen Chicago and the Burbs? We lack hills. The news was just saying how the Governor of Wisconsin was talking to the Olympic committee that since here in Illinois we lack hills he would host the bike race up there by him. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-oly-chicago2016-doyl,0,7071028.story
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009