Loud vibration from Hamat kitchen faucet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by SteveW, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

My sister in law has a Hamat kitchen faucet like the one in the picture. For months now, it will intermittently cause a very loud vibration-type noise in the pipes throughout her house when it's running. Doesn't seem to matter if hot or cold water. The water flow slows down to about half when it's making the noise compared to other times when it doesn't make the noise.

I looked the faucet up on the Hamat web site and got a schematic. It has a ceramic cartridge.

Here's the question - can a bad ceramic cartridge cause this kind of noise? I know from this site that a loose rubber washer on a toilet fill line, for example, can do this, but wasn't sure if or how a ceramic cartridge could do it.

Any other thoughts on fixing this would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Does it have a spray attachment as part of it? The diverter can make that kind of noise.
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Yes, it does. The noise doesn't happen when you are using the spray, and the spray seems to have better water volume than the faucet itself. Does this still point to the diverter as the problem?
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Remove the airiator at the end of the spout and clean it.It may have debris
    or loose parts,give it a try.You also may have a flow restrictor on the inlet that is mafunctioning.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  5. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

I came across a faucet that was making a loud noise while it was running. Took it apart and found a ball of solder in the cartridge. Once it was cleaned out all was fine.