Loud Jackhammer Noise When Toilet Flushed In Morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter Min

Reaction score
Hello - when a certain toilet in my condo is flushed, it makes a loud jackhammering noise in the wall and it gets alleviated if I open up the valve slightly. The interesting things are:
- it only happens at this one toilet and not the other one in my house
- happens only once in a while
- happens only really early in the morning (first flush of the morning)

I would appreciate help on determining what this issue is, how it can be fixed, and if it's something I should be concerned about?

Thank you.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hydraulic shock weaves occur with a quick closing valve such as a 400 A Fluid master or a solenoid or in some casing cchattering happens with a lose washer

Try using the valve under the tank to throttle down some of the volume and see if that helps

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could have a loose washer in the shutoff at the wall.
Sometimes opening that valve up all the way helps, or replacing it.
A loose washer can vibrate was water passes by it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Shutoff valves like used for a toilet or sink should always be fully open or fully closed (well, a multi-turn one sometimes is better if you open to max, then back off a small amount so it doesn't lock and you can turn it both ways to help loosen it). IF fully open is a problem, your water pressure may be above the maximum allowed in a residential setting of 80psi. To eliminate a washer entirely, swap a multi-turn shutoff with a 1/4-turn valve. While not as common, some filler valves can make that sound if the washer or seal is getting hard from age and chemical exposure. The local water quality can make some of them wear out fast, and excessive pressure makes it worse.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Your question suggests that you don't currently have the wall valve open all the way. Open it all the way and that stands a good chance of solving the problem. Terry's suggestions above are of course the full list of things to try. It also could be a sticky fill valve, since it happens only once a day. We find the Korky 528MP is a good, universal valve and costs maybe $10 or 11.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks